Is 2-way better than 3-way

henlin192

How is it that Klipsch 2-way speaker is supposed to give a better reproduction of sound than a 3-way speaker? For instance the B&W 604 that has a true dedicated mid range speaker.

I think I saw somewhere that Klipsch is coming out with the 3-way speaker system, cost about $15,000. I'm planning on buying 2prs RF 7's to get a seamless sound, but will it hold up as good as those 3-way speakers like Klipsch had at one time.4.gif

SOme say that one way speakers like Lowter's ,Fostex, and Stamm are the best as they have no crossovers and all the sound comes from just two point sources.In a Bass reflex cabinet they can supposedly get down to 40hz

I have a two way Klipsh RF3II and I like the sound and dynamics quite well but on a few older cd's the midrange can sound a touch off on some female vocals.It may be just recording problems that are becoming audible.

Three ways have more crossovers and can have more problems with the speakers mixing properly.Though most of the people here seem to listen to three ways particularly Klipsch's Heritage line of speakers.

----------------

On 10/9/2004 1:18:40 AM jdm56 wrote:

Still, my preference would be three-ways -- Halle Berry, Jennifer Lopez, and ME!!!
11.gif11.gif11.gif
----------------

What? Without Angelina Jolie involved I would have to decline.

Full Range single driver systems, even in the best I have heard, tend to be lacking to my ear on some frequency response and, based on the driver, some sort of mid or LF oddities that don't match my preference.

Two and three ways come in various flavors of good or bad. A well made loudspeaker of either configuration suits my ear better and I tend to gravitate in 'blind' tests to high efficiency three ways. The best way I can describe it is that it provides a sense of a live performance that I don't get otherwise.

My favorite way to listen to music is live.....Dynamic reproduction is a requirement.