RECEIVER Power Consumption

ARPRINCE

How do you get the total power consumption of a receiver? If the brochure says it is 110x7 channel (yamaha RX-V1400), does that mean the total power consumption is 770 watts? Does it follow that if you only attach 5 speakers that the max power consumption is 550 watts?

TIA

Total power consumtion depends on program material and number of channels used. As a rule of thumb, it takes 150 % more input power to produce rated output, with continuous sine wave tones. So, if you had a continuous tone to all 7 channels@ 110 watts rms, 150 % would equal 1155 watts input.

At 120 volts, that would work out to 9.625 amps. This would be an absolute worst case scenario, and not found in normal program material on movies and soundtracks.

----------------

On 10/11/2004 12:40:48 PM michael hurd wrote:

Total power consumtion depends on program material and number of channels used. As a rule of thumb, it takes 150 % more input power to produce rated output, with continuous sine wave tones. So, if you had a continuous tone to all 7 channels@ 110 watts rms, 150 % would equal 1155 watts input.

At 120 volts, that would work out to 9.625 amps. This would be an absolute worst case scenario, and not found in normal program material on movies and soundtracks.

----------------

So on top of this, I need to add the power consumption of my SUB and the other audio equipment stuff. The PB1-ISD's max, as per manufacturer is 500W ("but 99% of the timeit will only draw 200-300w").

Anyway, the reason why I'm asking is because I need an AVR at home. I'm thinking of buying an APC LINE-R LE1200 and use a Monster HTS1000 MK2 to protect my equipment instead of getting those highly priced POWERCENTERS. Since the AVR can handle up to 1200 Watts, I figured I may only need one, however, with the 150% rule, I think I'll end up getting 2.

Thanks

No,look at the back of your receiver it will probably say 500-600W.And this is when you push your little receiver into the trenches.

I like when receivers have these hyped claims and then if you dare try to drive all channels they collapse like a bad cake.

I tell you there is no way your yamaha can deliver its output(110W RMS or better yet...FTC rated) on all channels at the same time.Only big time power amps meet their claims.

So say your sub will take 500W,your receiver 500W.You have around 700W left,a projection TV,DVD player,CD player and company will not guzzle over 650W.You are fine with one solid 15AMP outlet,as long as no other power hungry gear is connected. 1.gif

Now if you had power hungry speakers and a few big power amps and a few hulking subs...then even four 15AMP lines are not plenty.unless listening at whisper levels 3.gif

----------------

No,look at the back of your receiver it will probably say 500-600W.And this is when you push your little receiver into the trenches.

----------------

You're right. Here's what I got directly from YAMAHA. I actually don't have a receiver yet but looking into a yamaha.

Power consumption is 500W. If you have any more questions please feel

free to contact us at our toll free Customer Support line.

1-800-292-2982 Hours: Monday Thru Friday 8 AM to 4 PM Pacific time.

Sincerely

Ken

My Pioneer receiver is rated to draw 720 watts, but comes with a 14 awg power cord. It needs the 14 awg cord per independent tests. It can out out 235 wpc into 4 ohm loads with 5 channels driven.

Actual power consumtion varies by receiver. The rating on the back is one indication; the power cord can give a hint as well.

Bill