back to square one

jdm56

Well, it would appear my '98 k-horns will be going to a new home before the end of the month. So that leaves me needing to put together a nice 2-channel system that will be used in either my 16x18.5" music/bonus/HT/media room, or in my 15x22 family room.

I will be buiding it around my Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi / DV-47Ai combo, although it will be strictly 2-channel for the forseeable future. I do have a couple of Sony ES power amps laying around that could be pressed into duty driving passive subs, woofer sections, or complete speaker systems.

So the main question is speakers!

I am, of necessity, looking only at high-value loudpseakers. I'm talking the Polks and Klipsch's of the world, not the Sonus Fabers or Revels. I am ruling out any big speakers that still need subs, or any system that cost's over 2k. The system has to be good on all kinds of music - rock, jazz, classics, bluegrass, country - you name it. It has to be able to do sane but realistic volumes without strain, and on a reasonable amount of power. My leading contenders are:

Polk RTi-10

RTi-12

LSi-9 w/ a couple of SVS PB12 or CS25-31 subs

Klipsch RB-75's w/ two RW-12's, or two SVS PB12's or CS25-31's

RF-35's with the same sub possibiliies

RB-35's " " " " "

A/D/S/ HT400LCR's with either A/D/S/ 12" bandpass subs, or the "usual suspects" from SVS.

comments? suggestions? donations?9.gif

Jim:

I saw your Belle on eBay, and immediately thought of you -- remembering how long you looked for one, then finally ordered one and waited for it for so long. And here this was, exactly what you were looking for, not far from where you live. Then I saw the matching Khorns and noticed the username and realized it had to be you selling these beauties. I assumed/hoped you were selling them because you found something better, not because you had to. I know this must really hurt and I can feel your pain. Hope you can find some replacements soon and hope things pick up for you.

Per your question, if $2k is your limit, then you obviously have a lot of options. I would definitely go used and you should be able to meet your objectives with Fortes or Chorus. They can be had relatively reasonably and are big on performance, especially considering their prices on the used market.

If I lived closer to you I'd loan you something or give you a deal on one of the deals that I've gotten...

Hey guys, don't feel too bad for me; it's all just "wood, hay and stubble" anyway!12.gif It is kind of funny, how long I took putting this system together; how much I thought about it, planned, yada-yada-yada. And here I am selling it all. And I thought this would be my last system. I really did. Shows how much I know!

Oh well, no point crying over sold klipsch. BTW, the belle is still available, if anyone is interested. And the heresy II's have a couple of days to go before the auction ends.

The straw that broke the camel's back was my "reawakening" to how good 2-channels, properly set up, can sound. Also, a number of instances lately where I found myself really enjoying music on small, cheap systems. Sure, I could pick apart the "sound", but I wasn't doing that, just enjoying the music. It seems the deeper I got into multi-channel and this heritage obsession, the further I got away from the music. Not to say that klipsch heritage is unmusical at all, just that I got my priorities skewed. Factor with this a definite compatibility issue between my k-horns and any available room in my house in which I could put them, and then the recent realization that we were getting in a little too deep with the old devil-plastic, and the handwriting was on the wall - downsize, downsize, DOWNSIZE!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, guys. Hopefully there will be some more ideas for me to mull over. I'm still kind of intrigued with the Polk LSi-9 plus subwoofer idea. It's kinda 180 degrees out of sync with the big horn approach, but it looks good right now. I need to hear some. I think I would also really like the RB-75's but they seem awfully pricey for a simple 2-way bookshelf. Geez, they're higher than RF-35's! Keep the ideas coming!