HT Receivers?

christjared

I have been looking at upgrading from my Yamaha HTR-5240 to a new Denon receiver. Looking at the specs of the new Denon I found that it has an internal crossover. Searching for other receivers I have found this in many of them. Why do new receivers have crossovers in them. I want the most bass out of my front speakers when I listen to music with out the use of a sub. Are there any receivers out there under $300 that don't have crossovers that will handle my KG4's? Thank you

i was with you untill you said under $300

or did you mean $3000??

if you dont have a sub; go with whatever reciever that you like in your price range and just turn the crossover off or select the no sub option on the setup menu(that should turn off the bass managment and send all the low freqs to the front mains

jay

All A/V receivers have crossovers that are engaged when you specify any speaker as "small," usually meaning unable to strongly reproduce a frequency below the receiver's crossover setting (some are variable). If you don't specify "small" on your KG4s, then the channels going to them will not be filtered and they will receive a full signal.

If you don't have a subwoofer, you would need to say "large" on the setting for the front channels or you won't hear any bass below the crossover setting of your receiver.

Incidentally, I run my Forte's and Chorus speakers as small since I have a robust subwoofer.