KSW 100 Subwoofer will not power on

makklipsh

I have a KSW 100 subwoofer that I purchased a few years back that has worked great up until a few days ago. Now when I play a movie on my home theater system the subwoofer does not power up. As a result, I don't get any bass when watching a movie through my home theater system. Even when I flip the power toggle switch on the subwoofer from Off to On it still does not turn on. Usually when it would power on and receive a signal from my amplifier there was a green light that would light up. In a standby mode the status light would be red. The light no longer lights up at all.

The power cord is plugged in properly and the fuse on the subwoofer does not look burned out. I'm not sure what else to check. I don't use it that often so that is why I'm puzzled that it won't power on at all.

Any ideas?

i'm assuming u not only visually checked the fuse, but also checked it with a test meter for continuity.. sometimes they look alright but are blown too.no power light suggests power supply problem. did it recieve a surge? was it on a surge protector? another possibility is the amp components themselves. dont know if ur version has an amplifier chip, or if it has discrete amplifier. such parts as the IC chip Are replacable. mine has blown numerous times for multiple reasons, i have an sw-10 which uses the IC chip for amp.. replacing it and rebuilding board was no big deal. if it were mine, id trace the input power with a VOM ,in thru fuse to power transformer, then see that the stepped down volts out are present.. usually around 55 to 60 volts, then follow from there thru the rectification circuit, making sure the diodes arent fried and then see why ,if theres power to that point, why the board doesnt power up.... if ur unfamiliar with these things, best to send in amp for check and service. dont blow too much on a new one as places like Parts Express.com offer ready to use amps 100 to 500 watt cheap..

• 5 years later...

I am happy to see a pretty thorough troubleshooting process, as I have came across a KSW-15 from a local thrift store for $5, the power led doesnt light up indicating that it doesnt have power, however I did the troubleshooting steps as you described above with a VOM and got voltage everywhere you describe. Nothing is fried, and I have replaced the op amp which is quad operational it was just a stab in the dark as one of the features of this quad opamp is that it drives the LED on the front of the KSW15...If i truly cannot get any sound out of this thing is the Bash Amp the culprit? Any more technical response would be greatly appreciated, I dont know if i will get a response as this thread is from 2004....but worth a try..

I run 2 x KSW15's and I took mine to my tech's to give it the once over. He's thorough and upgrades the parts and resolders everything. The BASH amp "can" be prolamitic but i cannot complain about mine so far... Suggest having the BASH taken to a doctor and verified as they can be finiky.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

Did you connect it to a new Surge protector? Maybe your canceling it out. plug it in the wall directly if it work directly in the wall but not when it is connecting it to a surge protector than the fuse in the subwoofer and the fuse in the surge protector are canceling it out witch equals no power. This is what I found out about mine when it happened so I got a serge protector with one unswitched outlet to plug it into. 

Edited by Zuloc
Typo