Video Connection Question

rpittman

I've got a Samsung SIR-TS360 STB with DVI and component outputs, and a Denon DVD-2910 with the same selection of outputs. On my monitor, I have a single DVI input, and two component video inputs. Should I hook up the STB or the DVD to the monitor's DVI? Would it be worthwhile to get a DVI splitter for a single connection to the monitor?

Thanks.

----------------

On 10/28/2004 9:19:05 AM rpittman wrote:

I've got a Samsung SIR-TS360 STB with DVI and component outputs, and a Denon DVD-2910 with the same selection of outputs. On my monitor, I have a single DVI input, and two component video inputs. Should I hook up the STB or the DVD to the monitor's DVI? Would it be worthwhile to get a DVI splitter for a single connection to the monitor?

Thanks.

----------------

What is the Samsung?

So, let me get this straight: What you are telling us I that you have a Samsung Hi-Def set top satelitte box, a Denon DVD player and a TV? Do you own an audio/video receiver???? If you do not, then do you have external speakers other than what might be in the TV? If so, how do you hook them up?

Actually, I see only ONE HD source: your dish box. Your DVD player is not actually Hi-Def. It only claims to show DVDs at hi-def resolution, but today's DVD are not Hi-def. We must wait for Blue laser to come out next fall to get that (but you probably already know all of this). The switcher you show may be an out for you, but if it were me, I'd want everything going to a quality audio/video receiever first and then to the display. I get the feeling that you do have a receiver but it does not provide DVI switching. Is that correct?

If that is true then yes, your switch box should work.

Yes, I have a Denon 3805, but it only handles component video, not DVI. The 5805 handles DVI, but the 3805 is new, and it's a little too soon to upgrade. My practice is to connect the video sources directly to the monitor, and use the receiver only for audio. From my perusal of the available literature, DVI appears to be preferable to component for video signals.

Now that you have identified your receiver I understand; Yes, I believe that your switch box method should work. The difference between DVI and Component signals is DVI is digital and Component is analogeous. Digital would be preferred, I would think, but I'll be damned if I can personally actually see any difference. It sounds like your on the right track. Good luck!

BTW: Nice DVD Player!

Thanks, Picky. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. The little Gefen switcher looks pretty good: small form factor, and it comes with an IR remote, so at least I can program in the switch into a macro in my big remote, and make its inclusion in the system relatively seamless.

Sigh: More frickin cables...

----------------

On 10/28/2004 9:52:25 AM rpittman wrote:

Yes, I have a Denon 3805, but it only handles component video, not DVI. The 5805 handles DVI, but the 3805 is new, and it's a little too soon to upgrade. My practice is to connect the video sources directly to the monitor, and use the receiver only for audio. From my perusal of the available literature, DVI appears to be preferable to component for video signals.

----------------

Rpittman, I also prefer to connect all video sources to the Monitor

instead of running through the reciever. Without purchasing a new

receiver that can handle DVI switching what you suggested is the

next best way. Unless you want to connect your DVD player using

component. (but then you will not set the HD upconversion you paid

for.) Good luck and let us know haw it works. Incidentially, before

I bought my new display I used a video switch for S-video. It was the

type that automatically swtiched sources. Is the DVI switch box

automatic?

I've used a little S-Video switch in the past, too. It was a Sony and automatically switched. The Gefen DVI switch switches sources via IR remote (or manually). I'm currently using one of those big Sony programmable remotes, and I've got macros set up for DVD or Satellite viewing. I'll have to add a step in the macros to select the DVI source on the switch. No big deal, the hardest part will be finding the manual for the remote.

I appreciate the simplicity that you and gcoker speak of. However, I like to connect to my projector through my Pioneer Elite receiver because it automatically up-converts all signal inputs to component. For me, that's very convenient having only one set of component cables going 25 feet to the projector. I have no sources that use HDMI or DVI connectors as of yet. My HD Cable box is component-out. All audio is handled by either Firewire (i-Link) or optical.

Picky, I can appreciate running one cable as opposed to two or more. Less mess, less $, less crap to get tangled up. If my 3805 would upconvert to DVI I'd be doing the same thing you are, with using your receiver as a single component video source.

BTW, hell of a nice job on your HT! Didn't see any Dave's Insanity in your hot sauce collection, but did see a full suite of Melinda's. Good stuff! Looks like a man's room, but, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out the ballet picture on the screen. ;-)

rpittman: Thanks, man. Yep! 6 different flavors of Melinda's and Dave is in the house! There are 3 different bottles of Dave's Insanity circled below and I have 3 more upstairs in the kitchen! As for the screen shot...well, let's just say they just happened to be doing a thing on the Juliard School of Dance on INHD when I pulled the trigger. Hey, I can't think of EVERYTHING! 2.gif

wheres dave.jpgpost-10177-13819259068792_thumb.jpg