Jeffery Larson of "abraxasaudio" (for Erik and other lovers of flea-powered tube amps)...

jt1stcav

I just stumbled across this eBay auction today and was genuinely impressed with its aesthetics, its description and specs, and it's low price (IMO):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50593&item=5728520551&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Jeffery Larson has his own temporary website (main site is under construction) with links to his many micro-watt SE and PP tube amp projects he designs and builds himself:

http://computer_pro.home.att.net/abraxas/quicklist.html

He will handbuild any of his designs for you, or help you in a custom designed amp or preamp. He specializes in both SE and PP topologies, but none that I've seen are megawatt monsters, but flea-powered designs that have their own sonic signature (one of his highest powered tube amps utilizes 6V6 output tubes driven to 3.5 WPC/pentode mode, 12 WPC/triode mode, an 807-based SE amp with a single 6SL7 driver and 5V4G at 1.7 WPC, and a 1626 micro-powered amp with a 5965 front end and a 6X5 at a mere 750mW output per channel)! Jeff uses quality NOS and vintage output and power transformers, chokes, caps, and vacuum tubes when possible, but has no problem using the latest electrical components and parts either. Point-to-point wiring is used throughout with no circuit boards. He custom designs and stamps his own aluminum chassis, finishing them with real wood sidecaps. Quality workmanship both inside and out (check out his pics on his makeshift site), Jeff seems to know his $hit!2.gif

With 410 positive feedbacks on eBay (0 negative!), his customers seem to like his designs as well. Some of his amps and preamps may be loosely based on more popular tube designs, but the final concept and design of each component are his own (so he says).

If I had any spare coin, I'd consider a second power amp designed and built by Jeff...was just wondering if others here on this forum have had any experience with him and his flea-powered creations (I know, Paul...I can see your look of distaste already)...9.gif

abraxasaudio_1626_5965_6x5.gif

The "Darling Project" is Jeff's answer to the original Darling concept, with a 5965 driving a pair of 1626 output tubes. What does 750mW per channel sound like? To quote Jeff, "WOW"! Read his description on his link: "A Darling amp Variation - The Best Yet! (Maybe)."

post-11084-13819259162482_thumb.gif