3d Khorn

swells

I am building a khorn (in cad for now) from a set of plans I found here. I see why they would be so hard to physically build, especially from these plans. I have run into a couple of places that need modification, nothing too drastic though. I have to fine-tune some angles and sizes for the outer wings and inner wings through the second fold in order to make a decent seal with the outer panel. What I am having trouble with are some more or less cosmetic pieces that I hope someone can shed some light on. Not being able to see one in person, I have to rely on photos, which dont match with this set of plans. I think the bass bin /horn section is ok, but the head {I hope that you can follow my naming, I dont know their specific naming convention so I made some up} section doesnt match any of my photo, also this section sets up the last section of the horn by setting the base section a certain distance from the wall. After finishing the head section the top looks a lot better, but it is still shorter than the total depth of the base section. Also, from the photos I have, the top finishes the back in a 90 degree corner. Also, I am missing the divider dimensions between the base and head section. Thats not a big deal either; I just need a height or distance between the two section. I am assuming is will be 19mm or 26mm, but I cant tell from the photos. The last detail is in the face of the head section. My photos show the speaker grill section wrapping around the front, the one I have drawn from the plans looks more like a lascala without any grill at all. Does anyone see any other problems with this drawing, e.i. missing parts. I havent found a spot for part number 17. (500x380x13).

Also, how does the grill match the base section. does the front extend 13mm or so to allow a the grill to match flush?

K-Horn Layout1 (1).pdf

Thanks Michael, That plexi glass one looks pretty cool, gives you a good idea how it works. I took a quick look through the thread you mentioned, I'll look closer tomorrow. I have a little colored pamplet cc 1980. Any ideal what model that was? It's the one I have been looking at since '85 just before I bought my Heresy's.

post-11311-1381925917994_thumb.jpg

Swells

Welcome to the forum. I built a pair of khorns about 2 years ago and have been extremly happy with them to date. I put together a disc with all my research and drawings with assembly instructions. These are the ones Dylan1 has referenced. If you would like a copy please feel free to drop me an email.

Darrell

----------------

On 10/31/2004 11:20:09 PM swells wrote:

Any ideal what model that was? It's the one I have been looking at since '85 just before I bought my Heresy's.

----------------

That is a Klipschorn "B" model finished in the "special order" rosewood. It's the upscale cabinet finished in the one of the rare veneers offered by Klipsch.

The model without the grill (like a lascala) is a "D" cabinet.

BTW, that 3D drawing is coming along nicely. Michael's thread has alot of the info you are looking for. Hope you post the completed drawings once you get done with it, as I'm intrigued.

Darrell, I may take you up on your offer... As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm looking to close a deal on a pair of "D" cabinets... which I may upgrade to "B".

Later...

Rob

Hi Darrell, I havent figured out how to e-mail directly so I'll have to post here. I am interested in any information I can get. so yes, I'll take anything you can send me. toswells@hotmail.com

Ok, so there were different models "B", "D" etc. The tops are definitely different and I will have to find dimensions for which one (B from what I can tell, and I have found some dim for it), but what about the bass bin. Where/are they all the same?

Here I modified the wings in the base bin to fit within the 60 degree flange. that was calculated fro the top and bottom sheet. It looks like the interior wings should match better, but I didnt have very pretty angles to work with. i.e. 19.5388 degrees instead of 25. I also tried to put all the information I found for the type "b" head and implement it into this drawing. The height is a little taller because the openings differ through the info I have, but that should be easy enough to mod when I have my actual mid and high horn. The depth and therefore the size of the horn ant the final exit point is what I was trying to set, which I think I have. Oh, I was looking at the vertical back piece and though it looked like it could use something to stiffen it up. I put a vertical support in and figured it could also help separate the left and right sound waves. I also looking at the upper and lower void made by the winged section. Any reason these could not be filled. I was thinking of spray foam and cut/sand the excess away. Thats the only section that I can see that Paul didnt/couldnt make use of.

edit

I take that back, as I submitted this email, I was sent back to the post and the old photo of the partly finished base bin came up. Then it hit me. I had wondered previously why the short vertical section coming from the face had a corner cut off flush with the wing section I mentioned previously. Then I realized that this allows access to these wings making the sealed section of the horn larger. The plans that I used for most the drawing shows a rectangular piece (#5) matching up with the top and bottom. Haha. Ill have to make another modification to that too I guess. Im in awe, I cant imagine how much time when into building this box.

I think I will look at puting another support for those wings though.

K-Horn Layout1 (2).pdf

Yes, you are correct in figuring that those voids on either side of the bass bin are part of the woofers enclosure volume.

A lot of the plans available on the net are actually from competing brands like Speakerlab who sold a "Klipschorn" copy and kit. You may find some of the dimensions or construction details differ somewhat from the real McCoy. This would explain some of the questions you have.. but I can't get into details, never having built one myself.

In your first post, you asked about the grill section wrapping around the front... Well if you look in the "B" thread, you will see that it, as did all the other full size heritage, had a 2x4 block of pin attached behind the top horn motorboard and the fabric wraped around it. See the attached photo of a belle grill... which features a similar construction detail. It was then held in place with two vertical 3/4"x3/4" blocks run on the inside of top side panels. (see cut A in these Belle plans... Klipsch-Belle-Plan-3)

Later...

Rob

post-11489-1381925918326_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...