KG 5.2 or KG 5.5 as center for La Scala's?

psg

Would KG 5.2 or KG 5.5 work as center for La Scala's?

Or should I hold out for (the more expensive) Heresy's?

The KG's are pretty affordable compared to heresy's. Are they any good? (I think so!)

Would they timber-match the La Scala's as well as the Heresy's (or close enough?)

Thanks,

Peter

Hey there! Never heard the Heresy as the center, but I'm running the KG 5.2 as a center for my Klipschorn mains... and MAN does it sound fine. The KG is a sonically matched speaker to the Khorns, and thus, I'm assuming would likewise be a good match for the Scalas as well.

What are you running as your rears and other surround speakers?

On 11/7/2004 3:18:26 PM fgarib wrote:

Hey there! Never heard the Heresy as the center, but I'm running the KG 5.2 as a center for my Klipschorn mains... and MAN does it sound fine. The KG is a sonically matched speaker to the Khorns, and thus, I'm assuming would likewise be a good match for the Scalas as well.

One vote for, one vote against. 2.gif

Since you have this setup, that says something! Are you running a single one or a pair?

What is the dB gain offset on your receiver for the center channel relative to the KHorns?

What are you running as your rears and other surround speakers?

Only a 5.1 system although the receiver would do 7.1. I'm running floor-standing speakers that used to be my main speakers in my living room: Nuance XS-3. Not that anyone is likely to know them. No longer sold; this was 10 years ago. I don't think the timber match is not as imporatnt for the rears; they are nice full speakers, 4 feet tall or so, and work well for either movies or music.

I'm looking for a good center channel over the TV, but I have only 3 feet of clearance between the TV and ceiling which rules out the Cornwall or La Scala.

I let the auction go (ebay). It ended at US$162.50 for a pair of black KG 5.2's which is very cheap, but it wwould have cost me about the same in shipping charges.

I'll keep looking for Heresy's, preferably black, within Canada and within driving distance, which pretty much means Quebec or New Brunswick; the odds are not in my favour!

Hey there,

Yup I do have it set up... and after months of sweating, auditioning, running around, studying... but the fruit is well worth it...2.gif

I'm currently running a single center, but plan to put the other one as the rear center. Still have to get around to that.

The dB gain offset, on the other hand, is more of a complicated matter. In the interest (read: greed) of trying for the best of both HT and Stereo music worlds, I have my horns connected to it's own individual pre-power setup, and TT and CD player are connected to that pre.

However, since I wanted to use the KHorns for my HT as well, I have pre-outed from the HT receiver to the Stereo pre's aux input. Therefore, I just have to "fix" a set volume position for pre whenever I want to watch movies. Incidentally, the volume knob has to be at 9 o'clock for HT, and because I have the relative dB gain offsets programmed at that volume level.

This way, the offset is practically one to one. To answer your question, however, I don't know what it would be if all the speakers were plugged into the same receiver.

I still HIGHLY recommend the KG's. Too bad you missed them. Woulda fit perfectly in that space over the tv! 15.gif

Hey there,

Yup I do have it set up... and after months of sweating, auditioning, running around, studying... but the fruit is well worth it...2.gif

I'm currently running a single center, but plan to put the other one as the rear center. Still have to get around to that.

The dB gain offset, on the other hand, is more of a complicated matter. In the interest (read: greed) of trying for the best of both HT and Stereo music worlds, I have my horns connected to it's own individual pre-power setup, and TT and CD player are connected to that pre.

However, since I wanted to use the KHorns for my HT as well, I have pre-outed from the HT receiver to the Stereo pre's aux input. Therefore, I just have to "fix" a set volume position for pre whenever I want to watch movies. Incidentally, the volume knob has to be at 9 o'clock for HT, and because I have the relative dB gain offsets programmed at that volume level.

This way, the offset is practically one to one. To answer your question, however, I don't know what it would be if all the speakers were plugged into the same receiver.

I still HIGHLY recommend the KG's. Too bad you missed them. Woulda fit perfectly in that space over the tv! 15.gif