Help me (yes, ME!) select some HT speakers!

kenratboy

OK, now that I have my 2-channel dreams fufilled (see sig), I want to think about a smaller HT rig for my 13' X 13'6 bedroom. While I will listen to SOME music, it will be mostly a cinema system. So here is the deal:

-Because of where I work, I will be getting the new Synergy stuff, so do NOT recommend Reference or anything like that, mkay?

-Before, I was going to go with monster mains, but my Chorus II's take care of my 110 dB. music desires 9.gif

-I already have a pair of VERY nice 30" floor stands that are all steel and filled with sand (refer to this later)

-When I move on in life (first pad), this system will go with me, so I want it flexable

-I have my JBL E250P subwoofer, so bass is not an issue. I will want to have these speakers running as satellites at about 80Hz. high-pass.

So:

-I will get a C-3, that is a given: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=840&section=specs - I want a large center.

-What should I do for surrounds? I will probably go with the S-3's - http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=843&section=specs - as there really isn't a reason not to!!!

-The real question is what to do for the mains. I am seriously thinking of getting the B-3's and using my stands. Down the road, I could put them on a shelf, in a cabinet, etc. and they would be fine for HOME THEATER (not music) - as the L/R speakers are kinda along for the ride. This would give me the same woofer and tweeter as the center, further inproving the system. However, I could get rid of the stands and get a F-1 (same drivers as the B-3 and C-3), but they are floorstanders and have more bass. Only downside (cost isn't a big issue, but not irrelivant) is they need to go on the floor and that kills flexability. The F-2's are larger with their dual woofers. The F-3's might be overkill for a small system and the cost compared to the B-3's is starting to be more than 2X.

So, what would you do? C-3 center, PROBABLY S-3's for surrounds, and what mains? Because of the goal of this system, it is probably down to the B-3's or F-1's. What to choose. Remember, I have some Chorus II's 20 steps away if I want to listen to music. This is a cute little home theater system, not a 2-channel death machine.

Thanks!!!

I dunno about sound but I personally think the new synergy looks better than the new reference. It has a cool stark industrial style to it that I really dig. The new reference by comparison just looks cheesy. Especially the RW subs. God those feet are ugly. Then again maybe I'm just being picky because I come from a design background.

Kudos to Klipsch on the new synergy styling.

why not f2s instead of f1s?? i dont think there that much bigger. remember you buy once. i d much rather get something overkill than to small.

and Underhanded Penguin, i agree the synergy does look better than the new refs. i dont think the refs look bad , just think the synergy looks better with grey/black finish.

I'm not too hot on music surround systems - just isn't my thing. I do realize this will be a growing trend in the future.

I want to make it clear I am a big movie buff, and that will only grow. For example, I saw the Incredibles on Tuseday and loved it, anything, just watching a movie. However, at home, it is rare I get to watch a movie without someone bothering me (don't mind someone watching with me) and I just don't bother most of the time. I love music, but movies will come first for this rig.

Hmmmmm...

Anyone else have input for me?

I could do shelves, but again, just trying to think of limitations.

To generalize, I am sitting in the middle of a square room. The only place the speakers can go is in the back corners, I assume this would be better for normal bookshelf speakers over dedicated surrounds like the S-3?

Ken, I'm assuming that when you say "bedroom", it is a spare bedroom that will be a dedicated HT space.

Looking at your room dimensions, I see a quick issue that needs to be dealt with. It's square. You are going to have huge standing wave issues in the corners, and lack of bass response in the middle of the room due to wave cancellation (null) heading towards each other from opposite walls and corners.

I would spend a few bucks and put some decent bass traps in the four vertical corners, and possibly along the top of the back wall.

You've got 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th modes below 300Hz, which is where one usually has problems:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th

71Hz 141Hz 212Hz 283Hz

43Hz 85Hz 128Hz 171Hz

43Hz 87Hz 130Hz 174Hz

Check out this site:

http://www.rpginc.com/hometheater/index.htm

There are similar products at Auralex and Sonex, but a little bit of room treatment will go a LONG way towards making whatever you get sound a whole lot better!

If you like the sound improvement (and it will be VERY audible), you might consider some treatment of the rear wall as well.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

On 11/13/2004 10:04:35 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

Ken, I'm assuming that when you say "bedroom", it is a spare bedroom that will be a dedicated HT space.

Chris, unless I'm mistaken, Ken is younger than most of us and lives with his parents. This is actually his room. Is that right Ken?

He's getting a head start on most people his age! Good stuff!

When I was about 17 and living at my parents, I started a mobile disco service for fun and profit. Not a big deal, maybe a dozen gigs a year for 2 or 3 years unless real life caught up. After the first gig spending all the profit renting out a Bose 301 system, a cousin of mine heard about what I was up to and sold me his La Scala's which were sitting in his basement (low WAF for him!). Paid C$800 for the pair! Well, 25 years later I still have those speaker and they are the heart of my audio/HT setup! 2.gif

No, no, it's all cool. I am just a cheap SOB and live at home while I go to college. Have you seen rent's? Even with a roomate, I would (including utilities) have to shell out the better part of $500 a month! That does not cover food, car insurance, etc. Needless to say, this is why I can buy a nice home theater system at 19 without the help from mommy and daddy (except living at home) 9.gif

Anyway, yes, not the ideal room. The room is full of furniture (bed in back corner, huge L-shaped desk in the other back corner, so I am sure that helps) and the fact the room is so small, I have been able to overcome some bass issues with sheer power, but it always seems a bit 'dead' when the subwoofer is cranking away. Not ideal, but not too bad.

If this system is primarily for movies and TV watching, I can recommend the WDST's. I have a Reference 3 setup, and I can highly recommend the WDST's (I have RS-3's) for movies, and normal TV viewing (especially Football broadcasts in HD with DD 5.1 audio!)

When I listen to music, it's the old-fashioned 2-channel variety. I only own a couple of 5 channel audio disks. Even so, the RS-3's still do the job admirably.

BTW, I've given the new Synergy series a listen, and the B3, F3, S3, and C3 are great value for the money. I still prefer my own Reference speakers (owner's bias, I guess), but the larger Synergy speakers compare favorably. Or, try to pick up some used Reference 3's. Either way, you can't go wrong.

As to your original question (B3 vs F1), I'd go with the B3, especially since you already have a subwoofer to fill in the bass.