newbie with starter setup has question

BillH2121

I recently purchased a "starter" setup for HT use - a Denon AVR 1705, RF 15s, RC 25, RS 25s, and RW 10. First, is the RW 10 considered "matched" for use with the other Klipsch speakers? And, with this level of setup is that really a consideration? Second, I have been listening to the same audio equipment for 31 years - McIntosh 2105 and C-36 preamp, and McIntosh XR-5 speakers. I am new to HT equipment and for the most part am pleased with the Klipsch speakers, BUT - the bass from the SW does not sound very "musical" to me. Is it merely the limitation of the equipment and something I will notice until I'm ready to spend money on more expensive equipment? I've enjoyed lurking the last couple of days on this Board and now realize that I know nothing about audio equipment - its a new world out there.

The RW8 is recommended with the RF15s so there should be no problem with the RW10. You may need to fool around with the various speaker settings to achieve the results you are looking for. It should be an excellent HT set-up when properly adjusted.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 2:54:41 PM BillH2121 wrote:

I am new to HT equipment and for the most part am pleased with the Klipsch speakers, BUT - the bass from the SW does not sound very "musical" to me. Is it merely the limitation of the equipment and something I will notice until I'm ready to spend money on more expensive equipment?

----------------

Bill

Welcome and congratulations!

Although I am not sure exactly what you are implying by "musical", let me try to explain as simply as possible the role of a sub in a HT setup. In HT, a sub has two distinct functions that it performs simultaneously. First is to reproduce the material on the point 1 (X.1) channel, also known as LFE or just the effects channel. Whatever the director chooses to put on the LFE: explosions, rolling thunder, or just a plain low frequency tone is what comes out of the sub. The second job of the sub is to reproduce the lowest frequencies from any of the other speakers that may be redirected to it by your receiver/processor. When you set any given speaker to "small" the lowest fequencies (generally below 80-100hz) of that speaker are redirected to the sub where it is mixed with the LFE and the lows of any other speaker set to small and fed to the subwoofer.

Perhaps that is what you mean when you say the sub isn't very musical, because it isn't producing music at all, just a collection of miscellaneous and often discontinuous sounds on the lower end of the audio spectrum.

About which sub is recommended with which towers and surrounds, I would ignore any of Klipsches recommendations and go with the largest sub your budget will allow. There is no such thing as too large a subwoofer, up to a point that is. As a general rule the larger the sub the lower it will go with significant clean output. There is a lot of material in the LFE tracks of todays DVDs that goes way way down to the point of being felt rather than heard.

Don't be intimidated by all the "big" systems you find here. Your so called "starter" system is quite capable, a very good choice. The RF15s do a GREAT job even without considering their size and cost, as do the RC25 and the RS. Let me make one recommendation. If I were you I would consider more power to best exhibit the capabilities of the speakers. For a few hundred dollars more a receiver with about 100-125 wpc such as the Denon 2805 will make those speakers really sing. I would even consider the 3805 if you can make the stretch. I have a very similar system as my secondary "bedroom theater" system, except I have the RB15 bookshelves as mains and an Energy sub that is roughly equivalent to the RW10. With a very cost effective ($300) Panasonic 100wpc 5.1 digital receiver, that system really kicks butt in a large room (24x16x10).

Jerry Rappaport

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll do some more experimenting with adjustments to the SW - I just purchased the HT equipment last weekend and really haven't had the time to explore yet. I am new to this Board but have already noticed there are a lot of good people and great info here. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll do some more experimenting with adjustments to the SW - I just purchased the HT equipment last weekend and really haven't had the time to explore yet. I am new to this Board but have already noticed there are a lot of good people and great info here. Thanks again.