WTB Chorus and Forte

rplace

I am looking to buy a pair of Chorus Is or IIs and a single Forte II (a pair of F II's is not out of the question). I currently have Forte II's in oak so my first choice for the Chorus and would be oak, walnut is great as well. The Forte will be hidden in a cabinet so finish does not matter and scratches are ok as long as they are sonically in good shape. Chours' need to be in pretty decent shape as they will be visible. I live in the Baltimore area so D.C., Philly, NJ, etc. would be ideal.

Let me know if you can help, Rich

For years I had my Forte IIs in a wall to wall floor to ceiling custom build cabinet. The bottom height of the unit was based on the Forte. To be clearer, imagine a built in book shelf where the bottom row was about 6 inches higher then a Forte. My TV was centered on the next row and my Academy was on its own shelf above. Finally each Forte had a vertical partition again about 6 inches wider then the speaker on each side. That left a big hole for CDs/Laser Discs below the TV and between the two speakers. The speakers had about a foot behind them to the back of the cabinet. In summary each Forte was in a big box that was 6 inches wider on each side and the top with about a foot of space behind it. It sounded pretty darn good but the base was a bit muddy. I cut almost the entire back of the cabinets behind the speakers except maybe 8 inches on the side/top so when you looked at it from the front or any angle it appeared like that speakers had a full wall of wood behind them, but in fact the air/sound could move easier (at least that is what I convinced my self in my mind, nothing scientific). The large area below the TV and between the speakers was also open to the wall behind the cabinet and I moved all the junk out of there. This sounded great. I think the passive woofer in the back worked better with a little space to breath. I actually think it sounded better then F II's simply a few inches off of a wall totally open.