Adding a driver??

Black7

Is it possible to add an additional driver to a speaker? To be more specific, can I add another 8" woofer to my KG 3.5's and be able to use the existing crossover? Would the box be big enough or is this suggestion totally out to lunch?

I've never heard of this being done and an never see this question being brought up - most likely for very good reasons but I thought I would ask anyway. Wheres the entertainment in a forum without a good newb question every once and awhile???

thanks all -

I'm really not sure what you'd like to accomplish by adding an extra woofer into the enclosure?

All drivers (speakers) have individual electrtrical/mechanical parameters which will dictate how they will behave when an electrical current is applied to them. This dictates everything from there frequency response, enclosure size, efficiency, etc...

The woofer usually dictates the bass response and enclosure volume (size of box) of the system. Adding an additional woofer will require a larger enclosure, and produce a speaker which will have a weird frequency response (probably a peak in bass region), and therefore also need a crossover redesign.

Why were we doing this again? 2.gif

Rob

OK - I didn't say I was doing this, only looking at the potential - but don't get me wrong - I really do appreciate the advice. I was flurting with this idea only because I have seen many any other speaker designs using approx the same size box with muliple drivers. Sometimes they are so crowded, they are almost overlaping each other. I thought maybe some one had experimented with this already and maybe there was potential.

I do understand a lot of research goes into box design and component / xover selection - the experts would frown on anyone even contemplating messing with their designs. But like I said, there are a lot of very knowledgable members on this forum that may have tried what I was considering.

Sounds like I was grasping at straws - I want to updrade and forte's are now becoming a clearer decision (just didn't want to spend the money right now)

Many Thanks for your insight - very helpful1.gif