NAD Preamp w/ Tube Amps

lshannon

My PAS 2 had developed a hum/noise at low levels.

Since I listen to it in my office with Cornwalls,

it is usually at low levels. It got so bad it

was giving me headaches during the day.

I swapped it out and replaced it with a spare NAD 1020 preamp

(my first preamp) that I had sitting around collecting dust.

The difference was amazing. Very, very clean, but still warm.

I am new to tube amps and they are entry level (ASL AV-8s)

but it made me wonder what had happened. Did I have a really bad set of tubes in my tube preamp? Old wiring?

It is original and I've toyed with the idea of sending it off to get upgraded. Now I wonder if I should keep it at all.

Any ideas?

- Lee

The control center for my modest home movie and music reproduction system is a vintage Dynaco PAS 3, series II, tube pre-amplifier by Panor Corp. I had the classic solid-state NAD 1020 pre-amplifier, some time ago, when I was driving my Fultons, then my super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, with rusty but classic Dynaco ST70s, bridged as monoblock amplifiers. I think the PAS 3 is a sweet little and versatile amplifier, with most sensitive loudspeakers I seriously auditioned, in my own home, with the same music and equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, as well as big ole horns, but especially classic Klipsch corner Khorns. I have to say I certainly prefer the vintage PAS 3 over the NAD, or most other solid-state receiver I have listened to (with the exception being the Pass X250 super-amplifier) with big ole horns. I going to play with an Behringer UltraCurve EQ someday soon, and when I get it set-up, I will send mine away for removal of the tone controls and/or upgrading. I certainly think a refurbished PAS 3 is a remarkable tube pre-amplifier, especially for the $150 to $300 pittance they sell for recently on eBay.

2.gif

PS and there is this review, though Sound Valves is no more:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_3_3/v3n3m.html