Input on replacement amp on Subwoofer

mr84monte

I have a SW12II with an amp that is on its way out. Im worried about spending a lot of time/money on repairing the amp and it coming back not fixed (nobody seems to have any rebuilds on hand either). I dug around a little and Im wondering if the one I found would work, just wondering if anyone might have some input. Im not worried about the amp fitting in the original location; I just want it to sound about as good as it did when I got the sub. My receiver takes care of most of the operations that the SW12II currently does via the sub out, on a Yamaha RX-V1400.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5732714696&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

i think thats an ok sub amp. is the sw12II amp put out even response(frequency)? if its eq'd then youll have a problem. this one on ebay puts out flat response(i think, dont have time to read description). i have a very similar one and it works fine so from a reliablity point its good

Yeah... I'm pretty sure the SW12 amp has a built in EQ to help level out it's performance. You can add an after market amp (or even an old receiver) to power it, but it's frequency response won't be exactly the same. It may seem to sound better or worse, depending on how it was EQed and what your personal tastes are.

It's really unfortunate that the part is no longer stocked, as it was a nice little sub.

Rythmik audio make some pretty good amps for the DIY (do it yourself) crowd... but there are quite a few others available as well. Question is how much do you want to invest in patching your existing sub... or save versus a new one.

That is why I recommended an old receiver or amplifier... as they can serve as a temporary solution until you upgrade.

Rob

Yep it does have a EQ. You got it right on spending money right now. I'm looking for pretty much about a two year fix. I need to pay off some other debt first and put a new roof on the house first, before I go drop $1200 on a SVS PB12+/2 (that's what I would get for a replacement if I just happened to have an extra $1200 laying around). I did check out Rythmik and found a step better on their site I'm leaning towards. So anything under $200 is well within reason vs. $1200. On the old receiver idea, how do you make the connection? Like hook it up to the cd jacks from the sub out on the current receiver, then out to the sub via the output speakers?

I love this sub and would rather just get a rebuilt amp instead of making it into a Frankenstein project, so if anyone has a line on them, let me know. I just don't want to put much more than $200 into it, because it's only worth about $500 in perfect condition from what I've seen. It's given me almost 10 great years.

i think a sub amp is the best route. a receiver can't change phase, cant change crossover(maybe some very BASIC crossover settings but not as good as a plate amp x-over), and lacks power. but maybe having this amp fixed is worth it. fix it and itll last another 10years. i have no idea what a repair would cost though...

----------------

On 11/22/2004 9:13:36 PM mr84monte wrote:

... before I go drop $1200 on a SVS PB12+/2 (that's what I would get for a replacement if I just happened to have an extra $1200 laying around).

----------------

The PB12+ is a very nice sub... but many of us wish we had 1200$ just lying around too... ;)

----------------

On the old receiver idea, how do you make the connection? Like hook it up to the cd jacks from the sub out on the current receiver, then out to the sub via the output speakers?

----------------

That's pretty much what I was thinking. You would need to add a speaker "binding post" to your sub, which is pretty inexpensive (see PartsExpress for example).

----------------

On 11/22/2004 11:55:15 PM Scp53 wrote:

a receiver can't change phase, cant change crossover ...

----------------

Actually flipping the wires will change the phase... and the Yamaha RX-V1400 already has a built in xover. Just trying to propose a costless solution...

----------------

On 11/22/2004 9:13:36 PM mr84monte wrote:

I love this sub and would rather just get a rebuilt amp instead of making it into a Frankenstein project, so if anyone has a line on them, let me know. I just don't want to put much more than $200 into it, because it's only worth about $500 in perfect condition from what I've seen. It's given me almost 10 great years.

----------------

Your best bet would be eBay... and hope someone has one with a blown driver.

I seem to remember another member posting here that he repaired his own amp on a similar Klipsch sub on several occasions with success. But I just can't seem to find those posts right now... and I know very little about repair amplifiers.

Hope it works out for you...

Rob

----------------

On 11/23/2004 10:24:40 AM Scp53 wrote:

rob are you sure just flipping the wires will do it?

----------------

Yes

----------------

i think it would be firing "backwards".

----------------

yes.. that is a 180deg phase change.

----------------

and about the x-over, is that receiver variable ??

----------------

Yes again...

----------------

or is it does it go up in 10-20hz increments??

----------------

not a big difference, even if it does. Most movies are mixed for a 80Hz point... and THX actually requires it. I used to bypass my sub's crossover. Remember that this is intended as a temporary (band-aid) solution.

Ideally, would be finding a matching amp or having the original one fixed. Klipsch used to offer an amp rebuild option for a 240$ fixed price which was posted by BobG (moderator) in another thread.

Rob