Who is playing the guitar upstairs?!

Erik Mandaville

My sister in law just came in from outside where she was working on a paper on her laptop.

When she approached the stairwell, she asked Marie (in all seriousness!)if someone were upstairs playing guitar!

This is EXACTLY the thing I love to hear! It's working well, and just out of curiosity I've replaced the Heresy with one of my Lowther horns. From initial impressions with this first CD, I think it will work quite well for the time being. I need to turn it's volume down a bit further than with the Heresy, but the balance in fequency response between the three speakers seems similar enough to make the illusion work.

An interesting overall perception of 3 channels: I feel I'm listening to fewer speakers than I did with just two. I think much of this has to do with the fact that the overall sound seems to me to be more cohesive and unified than it did with two (which for years I thought was something incapable of being improved upon). For me, this is a definite improvement.

The CD is a Fingerstyle guitar playing from Narada. Very well recorded, and it really does sound like someone is in the other room playing a real instrument! Wonderful sound.

The 3 channel stereo experience is definetly one that should be tried. I personally favor it, but I don't have any speakers capable of timbre matching across the front.

At first, 3 channel stereo with different timbre speakers sounds better than 2 channel, but you'll quickly learn that the sound quality is limited by the weaker of the speakers. I'd hate to get you thinking that way, but I think you'll come to the same conclusions and eventually you'll find yourself with a small belle center channel 2.gif

Recently, artto let me swing by his place and listen to his system and during one of the recordings, I asked him to turn off the center channel. The soundstage instantly went blah and I found myself back in his room. He turned the center channel back on and I was instantly back into the other world. However, there was one recording where the center channel was too loud and it totally ruined the mix...so Artto goes off and turns the channel back down and it's instantly back. Artto was telling me how the splitter box he made requires a complete turn to attenuate 1dB. He said that dialing it in just right is of the most importance and I think he even records in his CD booklets what level he sets the center channel. After listening for only a few hours, I was not as sensitive as him, but I don't think he was exagerating either.

Anyways, the true test of a good system is when someone else comes in and thinks real live music is playing...I hope you're enjoying yourself 2.gif