Macintosh ibook g4 12inch screen

wheelman

Anyone have this? It seems like a good deal compared to other laptop tops as far as what you can do and graphics card. I really like the garageband feature. Any opinions on it? Being the end of the year is it most likely to go down in a month? Also if you have a dvd rom can you download a dvd save it, and then record it to a cdr data cd? Thanks

I have a powerbook 12" g4. I love it, I haven't ever used an ibook, but I'm sure except for some of the higher end features you may not need, the experience is the same. I can't remember all of the differences off hand, but stuff like, the powerbook can safetly operate with the screen closed. This is for stuff like projecting when you do not want the screen visible, or for walking around with the mac running a wireless scanner while it is in your bookbag closed. Small features like that, but overall the experience is probably the same. I would suggest at least 512 megs of ram if you buy one. I found the computer a bit sluggish until I added ram. You don't need to spend the extra buying the ram from apple, usually places like staples or best buy will carry the ram if you are comfortable installing it yourself.

I do not have an airport extreme base, I do use the powerbook with the airport card, but just use a normal non-apple wireless router.

As far as repair...on a mac or pc laptop the easy of repair is the same. Basically, if the motherboard or other component dies, the whole motherboard in most cases needs to be swapped out. Getting parts can be a pain. Disassemly is time consuming (lots of little screws to remember where they go) but easy. For stuff like adding ram, adding an airport card, the mac is easy, just remove a cover and pop it in.

Skeptic thanks for all the info. I will be sure to make sure I get at least 512 ram on what ever computer I get. Which seems to almost be an extra on everything I have been checking out. I am not sure if 30 gb hard drive will be enough. I can get an alternative wireless modem? Apple wants a 100 dollars for the extra memory.