Big time vibrations?

Hardhitter

I am now starting to get alot of vibrations out of my room. I think that I have started to shake thing loose. Any tips on locating them, and isolating them. They are starting to drive me up the wall. Some are now appearing at low volumes. I know that one of them is in the HD monitor, ever since they came and put in a new chip, the back of it vibrates big time. What can I do? Will weather stripping work, or should I get car stereo matting? Do they make anything for HT?

Thanks for any tips!

Dave

I have done a lot of interior soundproofing for the automotive industry. One item that is very useful in the elimination of squeaks and rattles is flocked tape. This is a self-stick, fabric tape that has (usually) a black felt-like substance on one side. You should be able to buy a similar product at a good fabric store. This is NOT to be confused with the "wooly" half of Velcro.

It takes relative movement between two objects to create a rattle or a squeak, so placing a small amount of this between the two objects may eliminate the noise.

Another tip is that two objects that are made of the same (or similar) material will cause a squeak or "itching" sound with relative movement between them. If you are able to change the material of one of the items to something dissimilar the noise should be eliminated.

Another material that has merit is something found in almost any home: The Polyethylene (PET #2) found in most plastic gallon milk jugs. When cut into small squares or strips, this material is quite slippery, or "lubricious", as we say in the biz. When placed between two objects it can eliminate many squeaks and some rattles. Closed or open cell foam is also a good rattle inhibiter. Best of luck!