Upgrade subwoofer?

gamer

I currently have a JBL PSW-1200 with a front firing 12" driver. Would I see any improvement in bass reproduction with a KSW-12 which does have more power than mine but is down firing and it would be sitting on carpet? I think I may be getting a little addicted to the KLIPSCH. cwm45.gif

Gamer

I have some sub specs here that may help out. I will use the info I have on the JBL D112 as it may be similar to your current model's specs. Corner loaded, 2 meter mic, 10 THD.

JBL D112 - 105.3 / 25~95

Klipsch KSW 12 - 104.9 / 25~90

Klipsch KSW 300 - 106 / 25~92

All of the above reveiws were done by the same reveiwer, Tom Nousaine.

As you can see if your JBL PSW 12 specs are similar to the JBL 12" D112 sub then you would actually loose some output by switching from your sub to the one you mentioned. In fact it would take TWO KSW 12's to produce the output of the JBL at 25 hz.

I think T2K has a good point, spend the money on a good quality sub and be happier in the long run. I am on my 4th sub and I am still longing for yet another.

If you want Klipsch, wait for the new line. They claim they are GOOD ones. We will see.

Gamer, you are well advised to listen to RWMIN, he has taken some time to seek out and understand the truth in music and HT that better bass can bring. A truly good sub is equally adept at music and HT.

Some subs that have a great "THUD" (usually the larger diameter woofers) have the capacity to move air... but not the quickness to follow intricate musical passages. Conversely, some subs (usually will smaller diameter woofers) are inherently "tight" on music but don't have the excursion of the real bottom dwellers.

With all speakers set to SMALL, the MINIMUM Dolby requirement for *reference* level bass is 121dB at all the key listening positions!

With all speakers set to SMALL, the MINIMUM Dolby requirement for *reference* level bass is 121dB at all the key listening positions!

Dolby Laboratories established a MINIMUM "Reference Level" for bass (with all speakers set to SMALL) of 121dB in all "sweetspot" listening positions. Sadly, few subwoofers, even in tandem, can come close to such a Reference Level, regardless of cost. Take it from someone whose system exceeds "Reference Level"... once you have been there you never want to go back... particularly with 5.1 (or better) DVD's.

So, while you are saving your pennies... take time to understand such concepts as adjacent subwoofers tend to combine their waves while split subwoofers tend to cancel one another's bass waves. That sounds below 80Hz should not be directional... but may be due to higher Hz artifact on lesser quality subwoofers. And, there is so much more...

Unfortunately, most of us do not have "ears" that have been exposed to high quality bass... and so, there is a magical journey ahead for many of us. Welcome to the bottom feeders pond, home of the Big Mouth Bass. HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

Where did the review info on the KSW-300 come from? Could you perhaps email me a copy of it. The reason I ask is that I have a nearly new KSW-300, four KSB 1.1's and a KSC-C1 sitting in boxes. I am using my Quintet/KSW-10 system at the moment, and I am considering selling the big sub and eventually upgrading. How bad or good is the KSW-300?

PMB

First I would like to say the knowledge base on this forum is quite impressive. Is there a subwoofer in the sum of $1000 that would supply monsterous bass but yet be musical and smooth or is this just wishful thinking. Would you use 2 subs of different type in an adjacent configuration? HornEd I think I hear a rumble from SF either another earthquake or all those 30s.

Gamer, I have bought more than a dozen subwoofers in the last six months trying to find an answer to that question and a few others. I finally found a keeper that was both musical and exceeded the Dolby Reference Level (121dB) with all speakers set to SMALL.. but I spent $2,500 delivered.

I understand from others on this board that the same source has what you desire (kickin' musical sub for under $1,000). Take a look at http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ or wait to see what comes down the pike from Klipsch. Email Tom Vodhanel (he's the "V" in SVS) and he will give you the straight scoop for your particular situation... without pushing you to buy anything from his company.

And, man, do these subs ever blend with Klipsches. Check out the "I just joined the Klipsch Klub...WOOHOO!!!" thread in Home Theater on this board. HornEd

Gamer

The SVS CS-ULTRA is a monster sub and it only cost $1099 shipped to your door. You will also have to buy a good amp for it unless you already have one. The amp SVS sells for that sub is an additional $475 delivered and is an awesome 1000 watts. Now you are talking serious output, near DD requirments, HornEd?

Also for $850 you can get the standard SVS 20-39 CS w/700 watt amp and later you could add an additional sub only and your total out of pocket is like $1250 for

20~97 db / 31 hz 120.9 db(peaks of 124 db!)

Tha ULTRA is said to produce about 0 - 1.5 db more then the dual 20-39 package in the 20-30 hz range and about 3 db less then a dual 20-39 (that's about 3 db more then one cs 20-39's above 30 hz or so).

The Velodyne HGS 18 is also a major performance sub. In fact 16 hz output is Velodynes speciality (so to speak) with ULTRA LOW, LOW, LOW distortion. They are about $2500 (list $3000).

Pmburnet

This info came from Tom Vodhanel. He is the V in SVS subwoofers. He is the one with the knowledge of bass. As for me, I just try to share info printed or seen from actual people who KNOW what they are talking about.

Anyway, if you do a search in the sub section of this board you will find the data you are looking for. That reveiw and a lot more were posted on 6-12-2001. The topic was:

"SW15 subs-The best?"

There was also another similar "list" of subs and there specs listed, again by Tom Vodhanel, on 12-19-2000 in the subwoofer section, the topic was:

"Nousaine subwoofer data-listing"

I printed out the data and I often use them for reference. I would suggest doing the same.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 08-08-2001 at 10:52 PM

If those SVS subs sound 1/2 as cool as they look Im sure that one would go way beyond my expectations!! Thanks for the info RWMIN I will check on the post you suggested. Id better get a larger piggybank. Food? Subwoofer? Food? Subwoofer? hhmmmm??