Basement HT dimensions

IndyKlipschFan

There is a 5 feet opening center in the rear... think of a V too so the back walls by the time they hit the sides lose a foot too. So 16' 8" wide and back 22' 6" at the opening to 21' 6" when they touch the back side walls. Curtains and or scrim over the back surrounds wall be behind you.

I plan to use heavy black velvet curtains to suck up the sound as well as keep the opening dark, too, in the rears.

The original room was 17'x30' when you get done with all the build outs, it shrinks. Still... I am very happy so far how it is all going. The white bed sheet is the approximate size of the screen and trim. I am leaning heavily to one that drops out of the ceiling!

Cornwalls x5 (three vertical up front, 2 in the rears) and the new THX AMP/Subs x2 also.

Unfinished, just hooked up the audio.. it is amazing!

A huge image... but that looks like a pretty promising space all the same. Is that the same room you had your karaoke in? ... or yet another room? I honestly wished my ceiling were that tall.

Picture-0134-reduced.jpg

----------------

On 12/7/2004 10:40:08 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I plan to use heavy black velvet curtains to suck up the sound as well as keep the opening dark, too, in the rears.

----------------

It'll reduce your higher frequency reflections (room will be less live, if that is what you are after) but I hope your not expecting alot mid to low frequency (room mode) reduction.

----------------

There is a 5 feet opening center in the rear... think of a V too so the back walls by the time they hit the sides lose a foot too. So 16' 8" wide and back 22' 6" at the opening to 21' 6" when they touch the back side walls. Curtains and or scrim over the back surrounds wall be behind you.

----------------

I'm not quite sure I get which wall is angled though... have any floor plans?

Keep us up to date on your progress...

Rob

post-11489-13819259782458_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The room was basically 17x 29 to start with.

HT BSMT FRAME SPECS.jpg

Yes, the older Cornwall II's have "custom stands..lol." They are padded arm rests to chairs I do not have to use. They work wonderfully, and at a perfect height, too, for the screen IMO. (left n right) The center vertical Cornwall is tilted up slightly. Since this pic I have bought 2 Gramma Auralex (also called sub dudes) units for the subs. These units are an incredibly effective device that are used to float a subwoofer or speaker and yields nearly total acoustic isolation resulting in greatly enhanced purity of tone. (Last sentance stolen from the Auralex catalog.) But I agree, it does what is sais it does. Amazing clean lower lows, and no rattling the floors at all. (well from the speaker rattling the floor underneath it... output wise...lots of ooomph..hehehehehe)

Here in the "Architectural section" the center ceiling is 10 feet the sides are 9 feet. So inside dimensions as you will feel the room will be approx 17x20 to 17x22 roughly as the back wall is angled. (look at pic) No doors we will have heavy curtains pulled back.

Scrims (read music can go through cloth) will cover everything upfront and in the rears so you will not see any speakers and the screen will come down trom the ceiling. The two other TV's will be used on mutiple sports days, covered up with the curtains blended in with the scrim on non sports days.

With the screen up you will see a lot of Black velvet behind the stage. If I can get an American Idol sign that looks great I will maybe put it here? (where you see the white cloth now where the screen is.) The "idea" was to make it resemble a club stage at a nightclub for singing Karaoke. Thus the "KS" speakers in the rears facing the stage are LA Scalas and the two black boxes in front of the stage are monitors used for Karaoke in the rear of the room facing the stage. I have alot of lights for the stage area to be put up, so it should look really cool.

See, you can re live your childhood... or in this case, my college singing in the band days too.

One closet for Karaoke equipment, the other for Home Theater. A small isolated vocal booth to record vocals under the stairs.

post-5910-13819259783418_thumb.jpg

Looks great Indy! Especially like the tray ceiling. What are you doing lighting wise? Have to have this thought out at this phase since I know wiring is going in soon. Be careful with dimmers and I know you know to put system on dedicated circuit.

Like the back angled walls, your karoke guests will not only have a stage, but an entryway. This might help with standing waves, etc as well. Never a bad idea to avoid parallels is prob your mindset. Makes calculations tough, but you're past all that LOL.

One thing concerns me though. On main wall, will Corns be enclosed in 'built-in' cabinets or will they be free, perhaps on stands, behind your theatre scrim? My experience is that enclosing a speaker in another box gives you a boxy sound, even if there is no rear port or driver. Remember that some sound radiates all around just from cabinet resonances, IMHO, the cabinet should be open to 'breathe' naturally to avoid the tubby sound from the second enclosure, if you will. Just a thought, Artto?

Michael

Colterphoto1 said,

One thing concerns me though. On main wall, will Corns be enclosed in 'built-in' cabinets or will they be free, perhaps on stands, behind your theatre scrim?

Yes, they will,(free from being boxed in) and on the stands (custom chairs..LOL but work beautifully) I elected not to box them in for a few reasons.. One is to be able to get back there, Two is so if I ever want to try another set of speakers I can... (La Scalas Belles or I will have to look again almost a k horn too...LOL..)

Can you tell me the room size, how this looks by the "magic" calculations?

If you swap the HT electronics room with Kar room, you will have vocal booth next to Kar setup. However, it would then be closer to the stage, maybe bad when hosting those parties. As quiet as the house/room will be, do you really need a dedicated space to scream in? It would prob have to be totally dead acoustically, then you'd have to add reverb, vs just singing naturally in your big room. Just a thought.

Wire some disco lights in the ceiling or use your trussing rig for 'stage' lighting for the Kar portion of the room.

Rope lights around ceiling tray or wall sconces with timer operated dimmers for the theatre darkening effect. Don't forget the popcorn machine. And keep the HVAC quiet so you don't hear the whoosh of air when it comes on.

Have fun - spend a fortune - invite me over!

Michael

Colterphoto1 said,

"If you swap the HT electronics room with Kar room, you will have vocal booth next to Kar setup. However, it would then be closer to the stage, maybe bad when hosting those parties. As quiet as the house/room will be, do you really need a dedicated space to scream in? It would prob have to be totally dead acoustically, then you'd have to add reverb, vs just singing naturally in your big room. Just a thought."

--------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to Karaoke stuff to be closer to the stage so that is why that closet is there... LOL the idea of the vocal booth came as under the stairs so I can isolate it to dead null nothing with all the weird angles. And yes, might be good to have one room where it is dead quiet too.

==============================================================

Colterphoto1

Wire some disco lights in the ceiling or use your trussing rig for 'stage' lighting for the Kar portion of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------

I do have a lot of par cans as well as disco/ party lighting too. I will use trussing to do this also the video projector will be here too all in that center area. After all mapped out dimmer packs up there etc etc since everything is black ceiling wise, it should dissappear some too. I am sure some good aralex stuff inbetween everything will tone it down some as well. I cant help some sound bouncing off of efect lighting, or par cans.

==============================================================

Colterphoto1

Rope lights around ceiling tray or wall sconces with timer operated dimmers for the theatre darkening effect. Don't forget the popcorn machine. And keep the HVAC quiet so you don't hear the whoosh of air when it comes on.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Rope lights already thought of.. Lutron makes some good dimmers..for different effects. A pocorn machine.. mmmm that would be cool too. I see I have a huge box from "Santa" we will see what it is tomorrow. I am sound deadening the HVAC, and yes, a proper vent will go a long way to do that as well. (make quiet)

=====================================================================

Colterphoto1

Have fun - spend a fortune - invite me over!

Michael

----------------------------------------------------------

Reply.

Thanks for the suggestions. Little tricks like filling the stage floor cavity with sand to deaden the sound. Double pad, etc., etc., already in the works. The key I think for a lot of us, is to spend what were trying to achieve but not go nuts. I have been in a 300k theater that I also hated. To me, it was just aweful. I sing so much basically for myself and with my kids (Sorta like some people play golf as a hoby) thats also why the sound system for that is reversed from the HT back at me. Amazing what 4 pro La Scalas turned at you like a huge monitor system feels like too.. hehehee (incredible!!) And it does not have to be all really loud b;lowing yoru ears out. Something about a huge wall of sound back at you, is fun.

One thing I have noticed so far is the 5.2 set up as I have it now, sounds even better than the 7.2 hooked up before? I will probably run wire just in case I decide later, but I have to be honest with you on the BB here... 5 Cornwalls and the new Klipsch amp/ 2 subs sends cold chills of excitement everytime I hear it turned on and cranked up. Timbre and those subs just heaven! Michael you were here before.. it's even better now dialed in a little.

Last, your always, of course invited over... Just leave the parking break on next time so we do not have a round 2 situation!

(For those not in the know, this summer Michael left his car in nutral in my drive that has a very gentile slope. It hit a tree after going down a hill beside my house. His car had medium damage, but could have been really really bad too. Once we determined everyone was ok.. Even he had to laugh. Sh!t happens. LOL)

Maybe I need to do a Klipsch get together and or movie night when it is all done for those close by? We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away (ahhh... the beautiful sun beats the muck and snow here) so I didn't have a chance to follow this thread.

I don't have a room mode calculator handy... but I like your general layout. I'm guessing it should have a good spread given the number of unsimilar dimensions (9, 10, 17, and 29'), lots of acoustically open nooks, and large rear opening. Given the unparallel scrims at the rear as well as those in the front will be acoustically transparent... your 29' dimension will dominate. This does simplify the calculation though.

Also, leaving the speakers unboxed-in also helps if you have to experiment with sub placement a little. A good solution and it'll provide a really clean final appearance.

----------------

On 12/24/2004 9:50:52 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Little tricks like filling the stage floor cavity with sand to deaden the sound.

----------------

I'm guessing you want to avoid from it sounding like a hollow tap-dance floor, or is it to keep it's structure from resonating? Seems like a lot of labour hauling the sand in... and out if you ever renovate in the future. To get rid of the hollow sound, stuffing it with insulation may provide better results (easier to fill the whole space without voids) and easier to execute. If it's resonance of the structure you want to reduce, you'd have to add the weight to the stage itself rather than below it. Adding a couple layers of cement backing board on top should work better.

What kind of floor finish do you have planned for the stage and the main space?

It should provide you with an excellent music/HT room ounce you are done... to bad I'm to far to experience it.

Later...

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Yes, the stage will be filled with sand on the bottom. Add another 1/2 inch board on top. Double pad and thick Carpet. I have seen this used in a recording stidio to "dead the floor" and seems to work good. (i.e. Walking around on stage, mic stands bumped...do not come through the PA.)

I think the odd dimensions will help. The area around the speakes to the front of the scrim will have some type of sound deadening material. the backs as well.

I am sending the room off to Auralex... get their ideas..

I am glad I am going slow, actually. I have gotten great ideas from a lot of you to do this and that, and a lot of very valid must do's too. Anyone else reading this thread, please feel free to add your two cents too.

• 4 weeks later...

I LIKE IT INDY!

Plus your split LS give you the ability to keep bass bins on floor for SHOCK and get the mid/high packs just above seated ear level if I am correct. Be careful the bottom of your 'shelf' becomes a nearby reflective surface if the mid/high is not right at the front of it's cubicle. Maybe just a bit of dampening material applied here as an experiment.

Do you have your scrim material for the front scoped out yet?

That theatre is going to be soooo coool! I'll bring the dancing girls.

yer bud, Michael