Video Conversion Function questions

yoha

Hi folks,

My receiver has a Video Conversion Function which allows video signals from Video and S-Video to be upgraded to higher quality. I am not sure what the manual means but i assume they are all upgraded to Component-video quality. If this is true, then why should one spend so much money on expensive Component cables when regular cables are gonna be upgraded anyway when connected. is my assumption correct? And for those of you who also has the AVR-3805, does this function apply to all Video and S-Video port on the backs as well as the front(V.AUX)? the manual does a poor job in explaing this in detail.

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards,

Yohannes

----------------

On 12/7/2004 11:57:48 PM yoha wrote:

Hi folks,

My receiver has a Video Conversion Function which allows video signals from Video and S-Video to be upgraded to higher quality. I am not sure what the manual means but i assume they are all upgraded to Component-video quality. If this is true, then why should one spend so much money on expensive Component cables when regular cables are gonna be upgraded anyway when connected. is my assumption correct? And for those of you who also has the AVR-3805, does this function apply to all Video and S-Video port on the backs as well as the front(V.AUX)? the manual does a poor job in explaing this in detail.

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards,

Yohannes

----------------

As long as you stick with standard definition video signals you can stick with regular video & S-video cables. If you want to pass a high definition video signal through your receiver you cannot use the standard cables. If you receive high definition, say through a cable box or an OTA box, true high definition will be output only through component or DVI connections and all video connections from the box through the receiver to your TV will have to be AT LEAST component video

High definition passed through regular video or S-video will be DOWN converted to standard definition.

All this is moot, however, if you do not have high definition signal sources or a high definition television. By the way, DVD is NOT high definition; it is STANDARD definition. It is clearer than over the air standard definition only because it is using the full 480 resolution available for standard definition and OTA signals do not.

The primary reason for the conversion in the receiver is to make things easier for you when watching your teevee.

If you take a composit signal, or an S-video signal, reprocess it, and send it out over the component video feeds, the image is not going to be improved - it'll still look the same as it would coming through the composit or s-video input. The advantage is you only have one input going to your teevee. You use the receivers input selector to pick which device you want to watch. So, if you have a VCR connected to your receiver with s-video, a DVD player connected with component video, and a cable box connected with composit video, the receiver can output all of these through the component video connection to your teevee. That way, you don't have to switch the teevee's input, you maintain the high quality of the DVD image, and the cable box and VCR images retain their inherent, lower quality.