Dynaco PAS 2 - w/ Van Alstine mods

lshannon

Just replaced my stock Dynaco PAS 2 with a PAS 2 rebuilt with Van Alstine super pas 3 modifications.

It sounds really, really nice with my office Cornwalls and my Antique Sound Lab AV-8s (8 watts).

Most of the controls were bypassed, but I never used them anyway.

Just thought I would share. I should be happy with this for awhile, then again, I've heard that some of those 2-3 watt amps are supposed to sound nice. . .

- Lee

Lee,

Congrats. That ought to be one sweet preamp. I've talked with Mr. Van Alstine on the phone before and am impressed with this guy. Never have heard one of his amps, though. It is pretty cool to take an old standard like that PAS-2 and get it up to speed. As you mentioned, the one thing I'd like would be to retain the tone controls. They can be helpful at times.

Hi Colin,

My old PAS-2 was making some noise. I tried to look for

a Sound Valves VTP-101i Tube Preamp, but was unable to nail one on ebay. I was using a NAD 1020 pre that I had laying around when I saw a Van Alstine modded PAS-2 on ebay and snapped it up. I really preferred the PAS-2 to the Sound Valves actually as I have a dyna fm tuner and the pas-2 slid into a Dynaco factory wood case and really wanted to keep the vintage look in my office.

I don't really know what all of the mods mean. I just know that they sound good. By the way, your review of the ASL av-8s were what got me to experiment with tubes.

Here is Van Alstine mod info below:

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/super_pas_3_rebuild.htm

Quote: "The basic rebuild kit consists of our new RIAA phono preamplifier circuit board, our new straight-line output preamplifier circuit board, our new six section power supply board, all of the parts for the boards, and stepped precision volume and balance controlsover 100 new parts including all precision film audio circuit resistors and capacitors. We provide all of the needed hardware, wire, and solder. When you are finished you will have a Super Pas Three preampone of the finest low-cost vacuum tube preamps ever built.

All the original Dyna circuit boards are discarded, along with the original heater supply and quad filter capacitor. Our step-by-step illustrated color instruction manual makes it easy for you to install the parts on the circuit boards and interface them with your jacks and switches. We show you how to modernize the functions of your original selector switch and jack set to reduce cross-talk and change the obsolete tape head and special inputs into additional line level inputs. As excellent value, extra-cost options, this is a good time to install our new high-reliability fiberglass selector switch and our gold-plated jack ground-plane input and output connection set." End Quote

- Lee

DaddyDee and Colin,

DaddyDee - You're right, it sounds good.

I was solid state till about a year ago (still am at home).

I'm not really up on the tube "lingo", i.e, spatial preservation, openness, and lifelike presence, soundstage, breadth, airiness, etched sound, etc., so, Colin, forgive me if my description is somewhat lacking.

I'm more of a "I know it's art when I see it kind-of-guy".

It does sound good and I am happy (until I hear better, of course). ;^)

- Lee

Hi Colin,

I've been trying figure out how to describe the new sound with my somewhat limited abilities.

I came up with - The sound is so much better that I can now hear the singers draw in their breaths when they're singing. There is alot more detail to the music, it's more like you are there.

By the way, a good cd to listen to if you like vocals is

On Yoolis Night (medieval carols & motets) by the Anonymous 4.

- Lee