A Fun Visit to the Tim Babb Platz: Analog Paradise!

Chris Robinson

----------------

On 12/11/2004 11:25:40 AM leok wrote:

Chris,

Thanks for the review. I would expect the room in Tim's setup to have less impact than my much smaller room. Also, can you comment on differences betwen Cornwall and the Chorus-II sound?

Leo

----------------

Hey, Leo ... Long time.

For the CW vs Chorus II ... Different speakers in a lot of ways. But I think the greatest difference seems to be the size of the box. The Cornwalls throw a great bass and, even when working hard, barely seem to move. The 15" woofers (grills off) are amazing but are virtually still when watching.

The other difference, of course, is the midrange. The CW is very midrange centric, which, with the right crossovers and amplification, can be great. With poor amplification, well ... drill in the forehead.

The soundstage from the CW is really huge ... not quite the Klipschorn, but nearing it. For a room like Tim's, with near-field set up, the effect is really staggering with a good recording.

That being said, the Chorus II is a really great speaker. Having heard yours, I don't think you're leaving much on the table at all. Then there is the great footprint and the passive rear radiator. It has a smoothness that is hard to match.

Again, just different approaches, but both models are revered because they do so much so well.

I'm looking for one more pair of old verticals ... I think my multi-channel room will be six Cornwalls and a sub. I'm going to spend a lot of time getting the room right first.