A Fun Visit to the Tim Babb Platz: Analog Paradise!

Chris Robinson

I found myself coming to Chicago today to visit customers and find a new sales rep company for the Chicago territory. Ole Tim and I have been emailing in recent weeks, with him giving me the "thumbs up" to drop in for a visit.

After a tasty Korean dinner, I followed him over to his great home on a VERY NICE piece of property. Jeez, talk about privacy. But Anna was working late, so we used the time wisely and headed into the REALLY LARGE family room downstairs. My guess is that it's 20' deep and 30' long (not including alcoves), so there was lots of room for the music to breathe.

Tim has a really nice pair of Cornwall I's and Wright 2A3's with a DJH tubed pre-amp. The CW's are really tweaked quite nicely. Solid 3" high maple bases underneath the big boxes with vibrapods in between. DeanG PIO crossovers were directly coupled to the incoming cable. Halo's were on all the tubes in the pre-amp, amp and phono stages. High voltage insulators (from power line gear) were floating fat speaker cable 4" off the ground. Tennis balls underneath the Wright phono stage ... You get the picture.

In short, we could have had an earthquake and we wouldn't have skipped a beat.

Ever being the gentleman, he gave me the "Captain Kirk" chair for the duration. We started out with some Four Play (Between the Sheets) which I like for its general recording quality. The soundstage and articulation was phenomenal. The Cornwalls were about 12' apart, with my listening position staring right down the squawkers' throat.

Next we threw on Pat Metheny's "One Quiet Night". Again, great depth and bass, which was great to hear. Very tight and natural. The work Tim has done damping the rear of the Cornwall (2 layers of Baltic ply) really seemed to pay off. The maple bases really anchor the beasts.

Tim's turn was next. We did some jazz LP's, then a Super Guitar session (Byrd and company), and then spun a direct-disc 45 ... Oh-my-God ... this last LP parted my few remaining hairs (as Jeff Lessard would point out). This DD-45 combination is killer with careful recording. If Tim reads this, please let him include the LP title for the last one. I've got to find one myself.

His Scout (soon to be upgraded to the next level Scout, sans arm) was just a fabulous table, handling numerous LP's with ease and just making beautiful music. As great as his Sony SACD/CD player sounds, analog is definitely king in the Babb Platz.

We did a few short minutes in the HT ... really killer sounding with the SVS handling the LF. His projector, though, and big screen, really spoiled me, so I now know what the "next house" will include ... whenever that is. I had to excuse myself, though, since I've been traveling non-stop for about a week and was really bush-whacked.

Tim, thanks for having me by. Please drop in the next time you're in Boston. I'll try to get Sox tickets, but I need to find the Pope first.

Chris

Nick,

Thanks. When you getting your new table and when are you going to post your first impressions with Analog?

Hopefully soon...

tb

----------------

On 12/8/2004 11:41:17 PM nicholtl wrote:

Sweet 2-channel rig, Tim! After all the advice you gave me regarding turntables, I knew you knew your stuff. But after seeing your setup, I DEFINITELY know you know from where you speak.

----------------

----------------

On 12/8/2004 11:46:51 PM No Disc wrote:

Smoke Detector? I think you might be seeing a spot on my wifes digital camera lens.

No Dectectors down there.... Mmm gotta fix that. Never know with those PIOs. heh.

- tb
----------------

Heh.. That's too much!! I really thought that was a smoke detector. Well, at least save the camera for insurance pics. Could save you some bread!

"Nice location for the smoke detector, BTW. Been borrowing Dean's amps?"

"No Dectectors down there.... Mmm gotta fix that. Never know with those PIOs. heh."

Oh Man, a double slam. Ha Ha!

I'm past the smoke detector stage, I just keep a fire extinguisher by the system now.:)

What do you have there for monitors Tim, Dynaudio? I see another Cornwall sized speaker peeking up over the right channel Cornwall, and another speaker to the far right. What are you building over there?

Dean,

Those are Soliloquy SM-2A3s. Dennis J. Had Designed Crossovers. Specifcially designed to run with 2A3 amps. They will only handle 20 watts total, but hey, I'm nowhere near that.

Those other Klipsch. Those are for the all Klipsch Home Theater. Another pair of those Chorus IIs in back.

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?u=11087&f=theater.jpg&v=f&UserImages=11087&session=&&moniker=No%20Disc&invite=&w=1024&h=768

----------------

On 12/8/2004 11:49:31 PM No Disc wrote:

Nick,

Thanks. When you getting your new table and when are you going to post your first impressions with Analog?

----------------

Hey Tim. Hopefully soon. Just waiting on a few things (phono stage, ultimate outlet, a few power cables...) before I can get the puppy all hooked up. Will be sure to state my impressions on vinyl, especially since I'm of the generation that grew up solely on digital.

Thanks to the folks adding to this thread. Tim really deserves a lot of credit for the gear he's put together.

He really didn't need to post the picture of my balding head, though

9.gif

Man, that 45 he threw on ... still can't get over it. He blew that horn like his head was going to explode. I was just going, "Whoa, that guy's insane!" and slappin' my knee, etc. When I got back to the room, did this post, I was so friggin' worn out from two hours of great music that I think I was asleep before the head hit the pillow.

Any of you local Chicagoans really ought to drop by with an LP or two and give it a little listen.

Thanks again, Tim!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Tim,

Nice setup, it's always nice to have great music playing in good company that shares the same passion, looks like you guys had a blast. I believe we're only a few miles from each other, my home is open for a listen, I would like to get someone else's perspective on what I'm hearing. Although your musical tastes may differ than mine I'm open minded to hear something new. Drop me a PM or email and we'll get together.

Tom

Tim,

Very nice, direct approach: in physical arrangement and component selection.

Chris,

Thanks for the review. I would expect the room in Tim's setup to have less impact than my much smaller room. Also, can you comment on differences betwen Cornwall and the Chorus-II sound?

Leo