Pioneer Elite receiver "direct" mode imaging

jdm56

I have had this receiver (VSX-55TXi) for over a year, and had not noticed this until last night:

Unless I use "direct" mode, the imaging just goes to pot. In direct mode, center images are clearly defined, and are the same size as hard left or right images, but as soon as I switch to "stereo", even with tone and EQ switched out, the central image becomes vague and diffuse. I've used the same speakers for over a month or so, so it seems odd that I just now noticed this. I'm thinking maybe it is still something with the setup of the receiver or uni player (DV-47Ai). Anybody have any thoughts?

----------------

On 12/10/2004 7:58:44 AM jdm56 wrote:

I have had this receiver (VSX-55TXi) for over a year, and had not noticed this until last night:

Unless I use "direct" mode, the imaging just goes to pot. In direct mode, center images are clearly defined, and are the same size as hard left or right images, but as soon as I switch to "stereo", even with tone and EQ switched out, the central image becomes vague and diffuse. I've used the same speakers for over a month or so, so it seems odd that I just now noticed this. I'm thinking maybe it is still something with the setup of the receiver or uni player (DV-47Ai). Anybody have any thoughts?

----------------

i find it to be source dependent....

some CD's (or SACD's) image better in direct...but most of my recordings are better in "stereo"..... i have the 55txi and KLF-30's for my mains....

Yes, I find it to be source dependent, too. CD's that have the best imaging seem to sound the best in direct mode, while with others where the imaging is more vague, it doesn't seem to make so much difference. It makes me wonder what exactly is going on, though. What is causing such an obvious difference in sound? The real problem is, I like using the EQ and tone controls, or at least having them available, but the difference in imaging quality between direct and stereo makes them almost unusable.

By the way, otherwise, how do you like your 55? I like mine real well, although I did have some problems early on with it. It has been fine though now for a few months. I do wish it had a multi-band parametric EQ instead of the 5-band graphic. That would help in my room.

I recently bought the 55TXi and i have quick set-up question.

Does this reciever have the ability to select what signals are being sent to the record out jacks independant of what source your listening to / watching?

It was called a "record out" selector on many previous recievers i've owned.

I'm hooking up my VCR to record some things off of my TIVO and I have all the signals routed through the reciever. (I'm using all composte connections) With my old reciever I set the record out as the TIVO and then would select VCR as the source to see what i was recording along with the VCR's on-screen display.

I've read the manual but can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I think i might have to hook the VCR directly to the TV in addition to routing it through the receiver to accomplish what I want.

I agree that composite is pretty bad. The only time I even use my VCR is to make a copy of something off of my Tivo for a friend. They can deal with the poor quality if they even notice. :)

I've recently purchased the HD Tivo and a HDTV so I'm lovin' life right now.

FWIW, my problem is solved. The screwed up imaging in "stereo" mode was due to the auto setup setting the distance from one speaker as being half a foot longer than from the other. The delay was very audible; it totally destoyed the center image. All is well now.10.gif