OT: Anyone here know about skis?

Does anybody here on the board know anything about skis? I've been downhill skiing for a few years now and I think it's about time I got my own set before going to Killington for spring break. I never really looked at any skis to purchase before, so I really don't know where to start. I heard K2 was pretty good but does anybody else have any other suggestions?

----------------

On 12/10/2004 3:32:01 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

Does anybody here on the board know anything about skis? I've been downhill skiing for a few years now and I think it's about time I got my own set before going to Killington for spring break. I never really looked at any skis to purchase before, so I really don't know where to start. I heard K2 was pretty good but does anybody else have any other suggestions?

----------------

About what is your ability in skiing? Do you like to ski through the bumps and the steep stuff? Do you prefer to stick with the groomed cruisers? You said you've been skiing for a few years, so I'll assume you are at least a strong-intermediate.

I've never skied on K2's myself, but several of my friends skied on them. For K2's I'd look into something in the Omni line, such as the 4.5s or even the 5.5s.

Atomic is another good brand to consier. Something in the 'C' series, such as the C-8s and above would be a good consideration.

I personally ski on Volkls, and in fact, just got a brand-new pair of Supersport 5-star skis. There is a 4-star model, also, may be more suitbble to you. I wouls also consider the Volkl 7.24 EXT, EXS, or EXP. Anything higher, may be "to much" ski for you.

Also, consider looking into the Solomon X-Scream series of skis

As for bindings, I personally like Marker bindings myself, but any good binding should work for you.

And for boots - well, all I can suggest is find a pair that fits you comfortably, regardless of brand/model. They do have to be a very sug fit, as you do not want your foot to move around inside while skiing.

I would highly, highly suggest finding a goodj ski shop (not the sports department of Wally*World, for example) and try on numerous pairs, prefereably with the help of a good salesman. In fact that same shop should be able to suggest and put you on a good pair of skis as well, a pair appropriate for your level and style of skiing.

For me, I have to drive all the way to Charlottsville - a good 1 1/2 hours away before I found a good shop, since the one and only ski shop right here in Fredericksburg closed up.

Hey Steve, I knew you pop in here sooner or later. One question...

I'm not a skier, but I've heard of buying "too much ski" for your experience level. How's that all work? I'd think the better ski you bought, the more it would either a) allow you to grow your skills faster, or B) show the best of the skills you currently posess.

What am I missing here?

(I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the edge has a lot to do with it, the way it attacks, or some such thing, and that if you're not a fairly proficient skier the attack level could throw you off balance or worse pretty quick? Along with a bunch of stuff regarding flex, give, rebound, or God knows what.)

----------------

On 12/10/2004 7:44:34 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I'm not a skier, but I've heard of buying "too much ski" for your experience level. How's that all work? I'd think the better ski you bought, the more it would either a) allow you to grow your skills faster, or
B)
show the best of the skills you currently posess.

What am I missing here?

(I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the edge has a lot to do with it, the way it attacks, or some such thing, and that if you're not a fairly proficient skier the attack level could throw you off balance or worse pretty quick? Along with a bunch of stuff regarding flex, give, rebound, or God knows what.)

----------------

Yes, you are pretty much correct. Yes, you want to get enough ski to "grow" into as you get better, but you don't want "to much" ski, such as an intermediate tring to ski on a pair of high-performance racing skis. That intermediate skier may not be able to react quickly enough if those skis "get away" from him.

The higher-performance ski are designed for somebody that knows what they are doing. The ski will react exactly to what the skier does on them. If they mess up, the ski can and will throw them off balance with the disasterous "yard-sale" results. That does have a lot to do with flex, shape, and so forth. A "softer" ski will be easier to flex and to get an edge into the snow, but is more forgiving of mistakes, whereas a "stiffer" ski takes a little more work to get an edge in, but will hold it better, and is thus less forgiving of skrew-ups. Also, a stiffer ski will react faster to skier's input, allowing him to really make quick turns.

I had to get myself a stiffer ski, as the Volkl Carver Motions that I had before were to soft for me. I've actually cracked one of the skis immediatly behind the binding, from pounding them through the bumps too hard (and the fact that I am a good 6'0 - 230 pounds did not help either). I am hoping these new Volkl Supersport 5-stars will be a better ski for me, as they are a stiffer, higher performance ski than the Carver Motions I had before.

Like Audio, ideally, the best thing to do is to actually try several pairs of skis, and go with the pair you fell most comfortable on doiing the typical things you like to do out there. Obviously, that is not always possible, thus why I recommend seeking out a good ski shop with a good, knowlegable staff.

sskski_lores.jpg

Generally I'm a diamond skiier (sometimes a double, depending on the resort). Although I will admit that I can't stand mogules, so generally I avoid those. I think the last time I went skiing I used a pair of 175s and that seemed pretty comfortable, but I'm definitely going to look inot other sizes before I make my decision.

----------------

On 12/13/2004 11:49:04 AM Colin wrote:

there is a ski season in VA?

----------------

Matter of fact, yes there is! It is short, though - usually only from December to March. There is, in fact, quite a bit of skiing fairly close by to this area. DCSki website lists 29 ski areas within a few hour's drive of Washington, D.C. And hopefully, they all will be opened by this weekend. 10.gif

----------------

On 12/13/2004 8:55:57 PM Colin wrote:

Wow, good information, so here is another question then,

what are the worlds ten BEST places to ski long cruising runs at modest prices for airline, lift and hotel?

3.gif
----------------

Several that I have been to over the years and would highly recommend.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Mammoth Mountain, California

Squaw Valley, California

Snowbird, Utah

Telluride, Colorado

Whistler B.C., Canada

Les Arcs 2000, France

Any good ski shop will have "demo's" (not just the regular rental stuff) of most models that you can rent for the day. Ask for advice and demo as many different skis as you can during the season. Then, when you find something you like, buy a pair at the end of the season when they are steeply discounted and you'll be all set for next year. DO NOT just go out and buy a pair of skis without having skied them - or you WILL be disappointed and having a yard sale.

James