System:

Onkyo DD 5.1/DTS 595 (Reciever)

Sony DVP-S560D (DVD)

Klipsch SB-3 Bookshelf Spkrs (Fronts)

Klipsch SS-5 Surround Spkrs (Surrounds)

Klipsch SC-5 (Center)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Subwoofer)

Sony Wega 36XBR (TV)

Room size is fairly small (I'd say 15 feet wide, 25 feet long)

I'm not very audio-savvy and this is my first home theater, so bear with me. Put this setup together rather cheaply and seeking advice from your audiophiles out there. Have it set up right now with the fronts, surrounds, and center with standard speaker wire directly to the reciever, and the subwooder through the LFE inputs with MonsterCable. Sounds pretty good right now but I know its capable of more =).

What is the purpose of the "Phase" dipswitch, and what is its optimal setting?

What is the optimal crossover setting?

I've read that using the "Speaker level inputs" yields vastly superior sound compared to LFE input. Is this just plugging my speakers into the subwoofer directly, instead of jacking them into my reciever? And if this is true, is it really THAT much of a difference? (The Monster LFE Sub cable did cost me 50 bucks ater all =))

Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

Justin, There are a bazillion posts on this subject under the subwoofer section. It is a crapshoot as to how to wire the sub. You just have to try them all and pick the one that sounds best to you. GOOD LUCK!!

------------------

Mains: RF-3

Center: RC-3

Rears: RS-3

Sub: KSW-12

A/V Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5250

DVD Player: Yamaha DV-6280

CD Player: Yamaha CDC-506

VCR: Toshiba

TV: Toshiba 55" Projection

justin, ditto buylow on the settings too.

on the phase have a helper switch it for u while listening to a bassy track from the listening position to see which sounds best. of course by then u should have the sub positioned in the best location possible.

quote:

Originally posted by :

What is the optimal crossover setting?

Justin - When you use the sub output on your Onkyo, the frequencies sent to the sub are controlled by the bass management in your Onkyo. Most receivers (but yours could be an exception) cross the bass at 80hz, sending anything above that to your speakers. If that is the case, and you leave the sub connected to the sub out, set the crossover on the sub as high as possible, so as not to double-filter the bass (or bypass it altogether if the sub has a cross-over bypass switch on it.)

DD