A quick play over the weekend with....

maxg

A Manley amp:

This one:

Picture(9).jpg?dc=4675501445435639598

Apologies for the dreadful pic - I only had my mobile phone with me at the time and its photographic abilities rather match my own.

Manley is a lot smaller in the flesh than I was expecting - nice sound but again not quite the "Balls" its looks indicate. Polite would be the best description really - although we were not running it with horns where it may have sounded a lot better (Spendor's actually - which are polite anyway, but a relatively easy load).

Didnt have too much time with it - will hopefully get a better play next weekend with some other speakers.

These are rather pricey though arent they!! Wow! Wasnt expecting that...

thanks!

Both Todd Warnke and Stereophiles Dick Olsher gushed about the incredible looking Manly Stingray; A lovely design with matching soul, minimal but well-chosen parts, and an honest approach. And that's just the designer of the Manley Stingray integrated amp! The Stingray itself is, if anything, even finer. Using eight EL84 tubes (four per channel), a couple of 12AT7 input tubes and a pair of 6414 driver tubes, the Stingray is cheap to run but sounds like heaven. It looks like it too. The chrome chassis with black knobs and support feet is classy, as is the gold-plated, back-lit faceplate. And with 50 watts a side the Stingray has enough power for most normal installations. Best of all, the little Manley is one of those rare, more than the sum of its parts products. With surprising bass, a nuance and sense of detail with a joyful, musical personality. The Stingray is my favorite integrated... and is probably the best way to spend $2,250 on audio gear. -- Todd Warnke

The Stingray has, as of now, ascended to the throne as my reference at its power and price points. The Stingray is much more than just a catch of the day, I hereby nominate it as integrated amplifier of the year. -- Senior Editor, Dick Olsher

The Stingray is a reliable product that is easy to maintain, and for a tube newbie offers a safe gateway to the sort of soundstaging magic and harmonic color only tubes are capable of. Senior Editor, Dick Olsher

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/bestof2001.htm

2.gif