Gutted an SF 3 - Pics

ifrag

in a futile attempt to build a timbre matching center.. I bought an open box sf3 from BB for uber cheap. For starters I went ahead and gutted the poor speaker.

Should be an interesting project

www.allanbautista.com/sf3 <-- pics

so far my plan is to redo the baffle so the arrangement is woofer/horn/woofer

maybe upgrade the internal wiring.. most definately build a shelf for it as it looks like it would crush my tv

I could just buy an rc3.. but wheres the fun in that? :)

I was thinking of possibly reverse engineering the crossover in my existing sc-1, unless of course someone would let me borrow their rc7 crossover :) But again.. Im still just pondering all of this trying to see if its really worth my time/effort. I still got 27 days to return the speaker.. or maybe keep it and find its match to make it my side surrounds. At the price I got it for, its really hard to let it go.

Crystal method rocks

VEGAS > Tweekend > L of Boom

----------------

On 12/15/2004 3:24:34 AM DrWho wrote:

Dang you've got some good eyes (or you probably have that CD, lol)

Do you plan on building a tapered array crossover to reduce the off-axis lobing caused by the physical locations of your drivers?
----------------

That was one of my first 'real' CD's. Someone in high school was into electronic music and that started what is now a CD collection in the hundreds and many thousands of MP3's!

• 2 weeks later...

posted new pics up...

Ive built the enclosure and have it jury rigged right now, its up and running. Just watched lotr return of the king... all I can say is.. wow! beats the crap outta my sc1.

I set the center for large just to test it out, shut off my mains and sub. I then watched about half of the movie.. gosh.. it was like I didnt need my mains. There was plenty of bass.. well, whatever bass there was in the center track it replayed it quite nicely. The growling from those huge flying things and the general kaboom/crash type effects were very convincing.

I still have work to do on the box, minor stuff.. cosmetic stuff will be saved for last.

So far not bad for a center thats still way under the 200 dollar mark.

Now you need to cover the MDF box in a quality wood finish and you are almost done,good work.The ideal config would be to make the center deeper and to match the original cabinet porting and internal volume.

What is the TV you are using? Looks like a B&W 5" unit

2.gif

Yeah, i was considering making the huge enclosure to match the SF3.. but I wanted to try this first. If anything its only 15 bux in mdf.. that would be my loss if it doesnt sound good.... but it sounds great! I still have yet to mess with the crossover and do a freq response test with it. Im keeping the box unfinished and in a jury rig state till im completely satisfied with the sound.. then ILl go ahead and make it asthetically pleasing.

if anything it looks really intimidating in its unfinished state :)

and yeah.. that tv is is state of the art.. had it imported directly from japan. It does well holding up the 40+lb monstrosity.