HDTV Recommendations Please

Steve_L

Well, I just recetnly decided to finally get into home theater. I have a Sony Trinitron KV-32S40 that is about 6 years old and up to just recetnly was working perfectly. So I went out and bought the family a X-mas present of a new Pioneer VXS-1014TX-K receiver and complete F-3, KSW-12, C-2 and S-2 package from BB. The plan WAS, that I would upgrade the aidio now and then buy a new Video screen in a couple years as the prices dropped.

Well.... I came home from business last night and my wife had been reparranging the living room for X-mas, and decided to move the TV. It is a BIG TV and she moved it off the stand and I'm pretty sure she wasn't gentle about it. She had help from my college boy, but still it maybe took a bump or two. So, I come home to a TV set that is got sound, no picture and the little red light that says "Standby/timer" stays flashing.

I Googled this to try and troubleshoot it a bit and it seems that that little red light isn't a good sign. The owners manual only says "Set may need service, call a Serive repair depot". The Newsgroups talk about imbalance of CRT stuff and needing to get inside the TV and blah blah blah.. one note I read said this is about the average life of a new TV these days. (6 years)

So... any ideas?

If I can't fix it, what should I buy for fairly low money. I might be able to afford something between $1000 and $2000, but I'd rather stay on the low side of that number. Any suggestions? I don't have a big space to put the TV, so I don't want to get much bigger than the 32 inch size I already have.

Suggestions? I'd love someone to send magic dust to fix the existing TV, but if you can't do that, what should I buy??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve, sorry to hear about your dilemma. I hope the TV's fixable at a reasonable price.

A thought I just had was, as an interim solution, check Ebay for a 32" TV in your area. I just upgraded from a 36" CRT (4:3) to a 50" Panny plasma. I had a real problem getting rid of the perfectly good TV so I wound up giving it to a friend who really needed a TV and was in tough financial shape.

There has to be a market for TV's that are being upgraded out of service, perhaps an HDTV-capable one at that.

That being said, if you want to go new, I'd take a look at the Samsung units. Seem to have a lot of varieties in different form factors.

Good luck!

Steve -

Before you spend money (that maybe you don't have) look here:

http://www.agoraquest.com/

I have an old Sony 32" XBR console that quit working recently, and a flashing "Sleep" indicator was the only sign of life. The set wouldn't power up at all. No Nuthin'. This set is not our main TV anymore, but we still used it daily and I didn't want to get rid of it.

Anyway, I stumbled upon the fix for my set (and I didn't even have to buy any new parts) after doing a google search and finding the Agoraquest website. It may be worth taking a look to see if you can find something about your problem.

This is the thread that fixed my issue:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10628&forum=34

Dave

----------------

On 12/18/2004 9:37:52 AM Steve_L wrote:

Well.... I came home from business last night and my wife had been reparranging the living room for X-mas, and decided to move the TV. It is a BIG TV and she moved it off the stand and I'm pretty sure she wasn't gentle about it. She had help from my college boy, but still it maybe took a bump or two. So, I come home to a TV set that is got sound, no picture and the little red light that says "Standby/timer" stays flashing.

I Googled this to try and troubleshoot it a bit and it seems that that little red light isn't a good sign. The owners manual only says "Set may need service, call a Serive repair depot". The Newsgroups talk about imbalance of CRT stuff and needing to get inside the TV and blah blah blah.. one note I read said this is about the average life of a new TV these days.

----------------

When My Sony WEGA HDTV Tube started to do this, it was mentioned by the repair tech that its mostly always the Power Supply. It cost me about $400.00 to fix the TV last time. Its still cheaper then a new set and I was able to give it to my mother where it is still in service 3 years later.

If you can afford it, the newer LCD TVs are not bad. they take up less space in the rear then a tube and are much lighter. (36 in WEGA was 217 pounds/ 50 inch Grand Wega is like 65 pounds.)

You can get one for about 2500.00 (Model KDF42WE655)

Good luck to you.

As I mentioned in another thread, I got a very good price on a Samsung HL-P5063W 50" DLP HDTV at Circuit City. We love it!

Our 20-year-old TV was failing and since we needed to replace it, now seemed as good a time as any to make the jump to HD. Will this one last another 20 years? 2.gif