Digital 4.1

Gooli

• 2 weeks later...

It works with all ProMedia products - click on the User's Guide link for specifics. The note refers to an adaptor that is recommended for connecting sub and center channels. The adaptor (not the AT) is "for use with the ProMedia 5.1 only", since this is the only ProMedia with a center channel.

xenocide, sometimes ppl look to far between the lines and forget what is actualy on the lines.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or Instant Message Amy and if all else fails, pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!

I beat DBvader to 700 posts!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it will "work" with ANY speakers, but more importantly, will one be missing any discrete channels, that is -- center-channel and LFE?

I've just e-mailed Klipsch (Amy!) and MidiLand (AudioTornado=ADS-2000) with the same question, but more specifically:

Will the ADS-2000 (MidiLand) or AudioTornado (Klipsch) down-mix 5.1 to four discrete channels? That is, will it mix the center-channel into the fronts and the sub/LFE channel into all four?

I am assuming the ADS-2000/AT have a total of six discrete channels (count channels, not physical plugs) coming out the back (LF,RF,RL,RR,CTR,SUB) as a traditional surround-decoder has?

I would prefer the electronics to handle the mixing, instead of having to manually patch these all together between the decoder and amp.

What I am looking for in hardware is what I've seen done in software -- that is, down-mixing 5.1 to 4.0.

Can we have an owner of an AudioTornado or a ADS-2000 comment on this? They're probably not just trying to up their post-count Wink.gif and can put these questions to rest permanently. Even better if someone can snap a pic of the BACK of the decoder, or scan the diagram of the rear from the manual.

Thanks.

This message has been edited by SilverFog on 08-28-2001 at 03:02 PM

Ah, finally -- a review on the ADS-2000 that addresses the concerns of a 4-speaker system user that wants a 5.1 signal down-mixed to 4.0* channels, so they're not wasting 1.1 channels (centre and LFE):

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/ADS-2000/ADS2000.html

For anyone that is confused, the ProMedia 4.1 system takes 4.0 channels as input, and siphons the low-frequencies off the 4.0 channels (fronts only? I am not sure) sending the low-frequencies only to the sub, and everything else to the satellites.

From a 5.1 signal, you want the centre-channel spread across the front channels, and the 0.1 (LFE/subwoofer) spread into the rest, for (hopefully) your amp or pre-amp to pull off for the subwoofer only.

Maybe this was for my benefit only, but thanks to the above article, I will be placing an order for a MidiLand ACS-2000 or Klipsch AudioTornado, whichever manufacturer can promise me one the soonest. Wink.gif

i have heard through someone on the BB that he Klipsch version has been tweaked for the Klispch ProMedia line of speakers... you might want to put that into consideration.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or call Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!

I beat DBvader to 700 posts!

I beat DBvader to 800 posts!**

(does not matter anymore though)