New crossover networks

I mentioned I would post a picture of these when they are done. They are done, and here is the picture.

I have no schematic because I didn't use one. They were built with what parts I had available, and values are very close to what would be needed for a network of this type -- which is 12db/octave design.

They are very open and clear sounding, despite the use of a couple of motor run capacitors in the tweeter and midrange branches. The tweeter filter is also bypassed by a high quality poly capacitor. I understand why Bob C. continues to use these.

The L-pads provide very simple and effective attenuation of the midrange horn, and function the same way as the more commonly used autoformer -- providing an even impedance load to the amp that matches that of the driver.

I put all the parts on the pine boards shown, which came out of a scrap bin at Home Depot. The upright inductor will be strapped to the board with a zip-tie, and the horizontal one in the midrange branch will be glued down using silicone rubber (which has always worked better for me than hot glue) Doubtless, the next argument will be over what kind of adhesive is best. Use what works best for ya!

Happy Holidays!

Erik

post-10533-13819260019162_thumb.jpg