SACD vs traditional CD

Coytee

There is no appreciable difference IMHO between 5.1 SACD, 5.1 DVD-A and two channel in both formats. For example, the difference between 192 kHz and 96 kHz in DVD-A with 24 bit words is inaudible. (Two channel DVD-A can use the 192 KHz sample rate, but 5.1 is limited to 96kHz.)

The differences are usually in recording engineers and the mix. Both formats are equal in that they go way beyond that which can be heard by the human ear.

I am currently leaning toward SACD because more is available. Also, Telarc is producing some very high quality recordings, i.e., they are using the medium to near its full potential.

Many DVD-A recordings are poorly done re-mixes as were many of the older Sony SACDs.

Bill

While a dedicated player does have advantages, I would consider a player than handles all formats. I have the Denon-2900 that plays SACD, DVD-A, MP3 (I think, haven't tried that), CD and DVD-V. There are many others at a variety of prices.

I have a small collection of DVD-A's and SACD. All my DVD-A are 5.1. Some of my SACD are 5.1, some are 2 channel and others are hybrid (both 5.1 SACD and regular CD). Overall, I can't tell a quality difference between the DVD-A and the SACD, though I don't like the fact that I need to have the TV on to navigate the menu of the DVD-A.

While the selection of music on either format is not great yet, the difference in sound quality between these and regular CD's is quite big.