Need more info on new in-wall and in-ceiling speakers

bacevedo

There is a press release for the CEDIA EXPO 2004 that talks about several new in-ceiling and in-wall speakers.

They talk about some new 8000 and 7000 series speakers. They have the high power and controlled dispersion technology speakers. I haven't seen anything else on the website for these. When are these going to be released? Any idea what the price points would be? I really like the idea CDT8000 series. Being able to direct the sound for both the woofer and the tweeter sound great, like Speakercraft currently sells. However, I have reservations about going with round in-celing speakers that are basically co-axial speakers (see below).

Also, on the R-5800 series - what is the sound quality difference between the in-wall version and the in-ceiling version (R-5800-W vs R-5800-C)? I see that they have the same sensitivity, but the frequency response of the in-wall is better than the in-ceiling. (EDIT: There is inconsitency on the website. The specs say that the in-celings have a response down to 60Hz, but the cut sheet says it is down to 44Hz. The specs also say that the sensitivity is 94db, but the cut sheet says 95 db. Which is correct?) That tells me that there most likely will be a difference in sound quality. Do the tractix horns on the in-walls only pivot left and right or do they pivot up and down as well? Also, how does the crossover point of 2300Hz for the in-ceiling affect the sound quality vs 2600Hz for the in-wall?

All of my speakers will be in the ceiling, and I am leaning towards putting the R-5800-W speakers up there, as I still think that having two independent drivers will sound better than having the tweeter on a pole sticking out from the woofer. I think there have to be compromises in the woofer when the tweeter sticks out from it and the difference in frequency response between the two speakers seem to confirm that. However, the ability to aim the tweeter in any direction on the round in-ceiling is a plus.

To help in knowing my background, I am building a new house that doesn't have anywhere to put front speakers, either tower or bookshelf. I had RB5, RC3 for my front speakers at my last two houses, and I loved them. But in the new house, there is a fireplace with a built in niche for the TV next to it, and then on each side there is a window and then a wall. So there really wasn't a way to put speakers up front, AND look nice (which does matter to me as well as my wife). So I decided to sell my RB5, RC3 and SB1 speakers and go all in the ceiling.

How much of a sound difference is there between the RB5 and the R-5800-W and the R-5800-C?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

I think some of our moderators might be taking extended and well-deserved holiday. You might give them until after first of year. THey have a hard time jumping into every single thread and I seems that website publicity isn't always up to speed with notices. Have you checked the PR section of site, not just the product info. THere might be some printed press release re these new products that would be available prior to the product catalog being updated.

Michael

My post may have sounded a little harsh, but I wasn't meaning it that way. I was just meaning that I wanted Klipsch themselves to participate in the thread so I could hear it straight from the horses mouth.

I don't want this thread to get bumped off the first page, so I need to reply to it every few days to keep it up! :)

Bryan

So Klipsch employees - can you comment on any of this?

I think I have decided to go with the in-celing speakers. I went to a local store here and listened to both the in-wall and in-ceilings, and for some reason, the in-ceilings actually sounded better to me. I think this may have been because the in-walls were wired out of phase, but even ignoring that, the in-celings seemed to have more midrange punch to them, which I liked, because it made the vocals very clear. Maybe the smaller horn in them was making them brighter and I liked that - who knows. Also, the sales guy said that technically, the in-walls may have better sound, but they would probably sound worse once mounted in the ceiling, since they aren't designed for that.

So for now, I think I am going with the R5800C in-ceiling speakers.

Bryan

• Moderators

I'm not an expert on our architectural speakers, and the people who could answer you intelligently are at CES in Las Vegas until next week.

I'll forward them your post, and they'll answer as soon as they can.

Thanks!