In-Wall Speaker Installation in Outside Walls

scubaAl

I am installing a pair of KHW-5 in-wall speakers. Does it matter whether or not the speakers are installed in exterior or interior wall cavities? I want to install them in an exterior wall, but that has the 3 inches of pink insulation material to deal with as well. Will the insulation material impact the sound quality or hurt the speaker system in any way?

Guest Anonymous

no it does not matter if they are installed on an exterior wall, and the insulation will act as a dampening material, which could be good for bass but bad for your highs, i would not worry to much about it though, there should be paper over the insulation anyways so it shouldn't even be a big deal, the one thing that could make it sound off is if the other speaker in the pair is on a wall that does not have insulation so one would be dampened the other not, but i think that would be hard to hear

The pink stuff will do nothing but help the sound. Open-back speakers, particularly in a wall, where the resonant "cabinet" is as huge as a 2x4 wall, have a distinctively hollow sound to them.

Open up a speaker cabinet - notice the insulation? Even in that small a space, there has to be dampening material to compensate for driver reverbation. In a wall, it's even more critical.

There's a reason why Triad is lauded for their in-wall speakers - they build enclosed in-wall speakers (some ported, some not) that deliver consistent sound quality no matter where they're installed. You may not like the tone of a Triad speaker, but you know exactly how it will sound before you ever plant it in a wall or ceiling.

• Like 1

• 14 years later...

I am installing currently my PRO-250 in exterior wall. Am interested in more opinions on the subject. On one hand, the dumping effect could be good for the speakers' space in general as it removes internal reflections. On another hand, my thermal insulation does not face the speakers by "paper", but by "wool". So, question, will there be any negative affects on the back of the electronics that is opened toward that "wool" material?