newbie question

knorman

would bi-amping a set of rf-7's with tubes on the end high and ss low make sense with a ss preamp? I use a mac ma6450 and have ss on top now and just wondering if the speakers will show benefit from the tubes even though the pre would be ss. Thanks for any help and advice.

With RF-7s, and an old pair of Forte-IIs which I re-wired for using seperate amp in woofer(s) and horn(s), I found that there was very little if any gain, and the crosover region became more obvious. With 1 amp, the crossover presents a reasonably uniform load across the crossover region. Split, Impedance seen by the amps goes to infinity (well that's not really true technically or in practice, but it goes way out of range as a meaningful load to the amp) as frequencies drop below the high pass or above the low pass. A tube amp, in particular, will tend to accent the crossover region for that reason. I finally went back to single amp.

Leo