How to Make a Splitter ...(Prism, Wedge, Deflector, whatever you want to call it)

ooteedee

According to LaScala blueprints....the splitter at the mouth of the horn chamber is a 2 1/4" x 13" wedge.

I've seen some photos where people have made them using two separate 3/4" strips. (Perhaps on other Klipsch speakers that have a larger wedge.)

I can imagine using a solid piece as well.

Which would be better?

Most people use a solid piece of wood, but there is no rule to this. You can easily cut it from a 2x4.

I have seen some glue 2 pieces together from scraps and then cut them to size for the larger Khorn splitters.

I made mine from a single 4x4 fir post on the table saw.

DM

I built K-Horns and a bigger Belle. There I used a prism three inches tall. Some of the LaScala plans you see seem to use something smaller.

HD didn't any solid piece big enough and I didn't have anything to cut something that big with anyway. So I cobbeled (sp?) them together out of 3/4 inch ply. This required some careful glueing, screwing, and sealing. Note that it is easier to construct a big piece than a small piece. At least it was for me using a circular saw for cutting.

Now it wasn't that bad a project because I was using "reflectors" at the first turn. These were also plywood and so they had to be ripped too. They are 1.4 times three inches also and you have to cut a 45 degree angle.

There is some theoretical issue that the prism and corner reflectors should act as a solid piece - hence the sealing. Therefore a solid piece might be easier if you have the stock and something with which to cut it.

Best,

Gil