OT-Best Notebook Computer to get?

Beeker25

I am looking to buy a laptop/notebook, call them what you will, My specs for the system are; P3 500-600 Mhz,6.0+ HD, 13"=14" ACTIVE matrix screen(a MUST), 64-128MB Mem, DVD Drive, Mouse Pad(no eraserhead control).Price Range-no higher than $2200.00

I was looking at a Sony Vaio Model # PCG-F540 for $2199, that included the above specs with a P3 600, 64mb, 6.0HD, & DVD drive.

How are the Sony notebooks? What are some other good, top line notebooks? How are the HP Omnibooks? What about Compaq? I know-Compaq, but how are their notebooks? All help on this is greatly appreciated. Also, any good sites to read un biased reviews on notebooks?

------------------

Beeker25

------------------------

People can be classified in 3 catagories; Hookers,Pimps,& Truckers.. Which are you?

When you see a message like that, that means it is Off Topic, as in not related to Promedias, so that people looking in the Promedia board looking for just Promedia stuff won't bother to look at the messages even if they don't understand the topic.

I just got an HP Omnibook XE2 and I have been very impressed with it. P3 500, 128MB SDRAM, 6GB, 14" active screen, DVD, 16-bit stereo sound chip, builtin microphone, 56K modem, 10/100 Ethernet, Windows 2000 Professional and Office 2000 Pro. Not sure of the cost though, I think it was a little higher than you're target.

I've also had Compaq notebooks and didn't like them as well as the Toshibas I've had (3) or this HP.

Don't let the pointing device lure you away from a good deal, I hate both styles and carry a trackball in my bag.

Looks like Sager has some good prices, but I'm not familiar with them. Don't know about Sony either, but I think you can trust their quality over an off-brand.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

what the vid system in it.i'd get something with the ati 8mb and hardware dvd decodeing.has anyone heard of anything new coming out as far as mobile graphics?i heard voodoo was working on something acouple months ago but haven't seen anything on it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Sony is BAAAAAAAAAAAD. I am a support tech, and if you don't have a driver CD, the won't give them to you via email and they don't post them on your site. Their support sucks. Gateway is bad to, especially if the GO BACK TSR is loaded (This backs up your registry every time you restart and causes chronic fragmentation). Speaking of which, if you get a system with 98, make sure you copy over the Windows95 Defrag Utility if you want your laptop to last more than 3 months. The windows 98 defrag.exe doesn't work, (Its made by Intel) and it actually causes fragmentation rather than fixing it.

------------------

-----------------

-Tekk