Fair Price for Chorus II ?

laikadog

There's a pair available locally and the guy is asking $600-650. No pictures, they are black and he describes them as "phenomenal condition" , but will "need a paint job"? Yeah, I know, the BS meter is quivering already. Nonetheless, I may have to check it out. I'm looking for a dynamic full-range speaker to mate with my Cary SLI-80 integrated, 40w triode and 80w ultralinear. Listen to all kinds of music, but mostly bop/hardbop jazz and alterna rock.

I have to admit the only Klipsch I've heard at any length are my buddies kg4 powered with a mid/late seventies Yamaha Natural Sound integrated. He loves them, but to be honest I found the horns to be a little sharp for my taste. I'd like something a little more refined and smoother in the mids and highs. Am I barking up the right tree or should I consider something else? The Corwall IIs are enticing, but I think they would be too big for my room (13.5' x 18.5'). Speakers are set up on long wall and must be placed very close (within 1' - 1.5') from the back wall and the listening position can be 7' to 9'.

Finally, back to the original question...before I go and have a look at the Chorus II, what is a fair price assuming they are OK functionally, but cosmetically they'll need some work? Also, what are some things to look for, functioanlity wise, when buying these puppies used? If the seller is amenable, I'll take my own amp over for a listen. Thanks for any info and tips.

laikadog

should be excellent on long wall with tube amp!

Recently five Fortes I and IIs, are similar to Chorus models, though they are less-sensitive, and roll off slowly below 200Hz, sold on eBay from a remarkable $158 to a high of $800, for an average of $522 Posted: 12/27/2004

The Chorus uses a 15" woofer, but although only to 39Hz instead of the 12" Forte woofer at 32Hz. Chorus sound much like Cornwalls, but have a narrow, more modern looking, practical cabinet. The Chorus are larger and weigh 22 more pounds than Fortes. On eBay sales in the past, they were holding their own with Cornwall values at about $550 to $1,000, but in 2004 the wider, slightly more sensitive Corns have pulled ahead.

From 18 sales on eBay, as of January 05: Cornwalls I and IIs, which do NOT have horn loaded bass, have smaller mid-range horn than larger Heritage models, still have 15 woofer and amazing 100 dB/w/m sensitivity, they bump around 80-100Hz and fall off quickly below 50Hz, sold from $550 to $1,400. An exception was a year ago, when a pair went for $1,800, but generally Corns sell for about the same for Chorus I and IIs (averaging $926, up about more than one hundred from summer), with one pair at 1,906 and another at $1,400. Klipsch specs show Chorus above Cornwall models, with the same sensitivity, but less of a fall below 50Hz.

you can always sell them for what you paid for them!

3.gif

Build a nice pair of speakers using the FOSTEX FE207E fullrange papercone speaker for around $250.00. The midrange will sound more natural with these and you may or maynot need a subwoofer. If you want headphone type accuracy without the headphones this is for you.

Go to www.madisound.com, and click on catalog, then click FOSTEX. There it will have specs and plans for the FE207E. You will not need the optional tweeter mentioned there.

Trust me, you will like the sound of these home made speakers. I built the small bass reflex monitors around the FOSTEX FE167E. The midrange sounds more natural than my Forte 2's and you can still here the bass but not as loud. The 3D imaging is amazing with the monitor type bass reflex enclosure built on stands.

The FOSTEX FE 6.5 and 8 inch papercone series are verygood speakers for a variety of amplification including SET.