Can Anyone Explain This??

MBM135

I am getting ready to move next week and disconnected my SS-1 rear surrounds (selling house and wanted to fill screw holes/paint etc.)

Well, last night my brother comes over with a new DVD he has added to his collection--"Interview With A Vampire". I am bummed about the rears be being down but we throw it in anyway and proceed to watch it in Dolby Digital. I have had my HT system since Jan and have NEVER experienced better audio. Absolutely astonishing. It seemed as if my system had 50% more power! I had to turn down the volume from -22db (where it normally is when I watch movies) to -32db. I also have my KV-2 center boosted to hear dialogue a bit better and the voices were BOOMING in! Too loud! I was getting unbelievable REAR effects and the damn SS-1s are boxed up! We were hearing things behind us with no rear speakers!! I could hear everything--candles flickering, water dripping, etc. My friggin' couch was shaking!

I tried to select "3 channel" on my Amp's Surround Mode but it just kept dropping back into Dolby D when the movie started so it was probably trying to output to the rears, that of course, were not there. Here is my set-up:

Harmon Kardon AVR-110 (5 channel amp and everyhing is hooked up fine)

Kg-4 Mains

KV-2 Center

Sony DVD (DVD-S360)

Does anyone have any idea what may have happened or does that particular movie just have an extraordinary soundtrack?

After my move I am going to experiment with some other movies and see what happens.

Thanks!

I have the HK 510 and it does play louder in stereo mode than it does in surround modes (if you look at the specs the 2 speaker mode is higher rated than the surround modes). Did you go in and turn off the surrounds in the setup? If you did the amp will use it DSP to automatically make "fake" rear surrounds. Still it is very strange. If you call HK I am sure they can explain it to you. They are very good at talking to you. I have called them more than once with dumb questions and they have always been able to answer them.

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII