Sound from Cogeco digital receiver

Jabez Scratch

For those readers in the Ontario region that use Cogeco cable service (or Rogers too, I suppose), I am renting from Cogeco a Motorola digital receiver. It's the latest DCT2500 model w/ 5.1 Dolby surroud capability. I picked up this latest model in December, `04.

Since hooking it up, the sound has been muffled and I have to crank the volume up. I've tried changing all kinds of settings on the cable receiver and my a/v receiver and spoken w/ tech support, but to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, any suggestions?

----------------

On 1/12/2005 2:00:07 PM Drew in the desert wrote:

My first questions would be:

1. What type of connection are you using? (optical or digital coax?)

2. What input mode is selected in your receiver when listening to the TV? (Digital or Analog?)

----------------

1. High end connections -- S-Video and digital audio cable

2. Digital and analog -- they toggle b/n the digital and non-digital channels.

The problem seems to be that there is a clear lack of stereo/surround separation -- almost all of the sound comes from the center channel. And yes I know enough to switch the settings from mono/stereo to surround. I've tried just about everything and been in contact w/ tech support many times and I'm at my wits end. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this.