LaScala or KLF30? matching with 20w SET.

highdecibel

I have a low powered set I currently run on dunlavy speakers....4 ohm impedance...91 db efficiency. I am only running 20 watts, and want to listen to music at loud volumes.......I know both the lascala and klf30 are over 100db efficient......so they should work well in that respect.

Can anyone with experience listening to these speakers give me an idea of their different sounds or characteristics? (ie more forward mid and high's, etc)

I will be playing rock/pop/techno...I've had kg4.5's before but the muddy sounding bass and colored mids can't compare to my dunlavy's precision and clarity. Do the lascalas or klf30's sound this way......or are these models no comparison to the 2way KG4.5 I've had experience with? thanks in advance.

Hi HD - You will notice quite a difference between the 2-way 4.5's and the 3-way LS or KLF-30. I had a pair of KG4 and when I went to a 3-way (horn midrange & tweeter) Forte (then Chorus), I was amazed at the difference (and I LIKED the KG4).

If you like techno/pop, be aware that the La Scala's are not known for low bass reproduction. If you have a sub already, you'll be fine as long as it can keep up with the efficiency and liveliness of the LS.

The KLF-30s will probably meet your bass needs, but they do have a different sound than the LS because the LS are fully horn loaded and the KLF-30 uses standard cone woofers.

That's about all I can contribute. Good luck.

Doug

high (is that a level or a state?)...

Make sure you hear the La Scalas or the KLF30, or have the right to return them, before you commit to anything. Neither of them is going to sound anything remotely like your Dunlavys. I have a friend who owns Duntech Soverigns - which were JD's statement product before he left Duntech to start DAL - and I've heard both the SC-IV and Aletha (Altheas? whatever current name is) at a dealer. I really can't imagine two more different sounding types of speakers than the La Scala and the SC-IV. So much so that my expectation is that if you really, really like one of them, you're not going to be happy with the other one.

If you're not terribly, awfully, insanely miserable trying to drive your speakers with 20 watts, you're probably not in the market Klipsch targets... you might be a lot happier keeping the Dunlavys and getting a much, much more powerful amp. Keep in mind that (theoretically, anyway) the La Scala will play as loudly with 20 watts as the Dunlavys would with, er, 400 watts (104dB sensitivity vs 91dB...)

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

congrats, Ray on making to the "No Life" category ... I think that is a good thing, right? What comes next I wonder.

As always, I agree with Ray, ya gotta hear them for you are really getting inot a different - more live - type of sound. For that, 20 watts (what kind of tube are you using?) will be more than plenty - except for the deep bass.

I have heard the KLF30s and their bass is considered respectable by everyone except the tweaking audiophiles that surf this site, in fact I beleive that both the KLF30s and the LaScalas need a SS powered sub-woofer to help out in the below 40 Hz range - most moderate priced full range speakers do.

I would go with the LaScalas except for one thing - the big old horns need lots of room. They can be used in smaller spaces and they work fine, but the huge image they can create really opens up when they are 10 to 12 feet apart and the sweet seat is 15 to 18 feet in front of them - that means they need to be properly used in the living room or you need a big house ....

------------------

big old Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube amps, Dynaco series II tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs