Doctor Lonnie Smith-- TOO DAMN HOT!

Allan Songer

I should have included this one in the "best jazz albums of 2004" thread, but I didn't get my copy until about two weeks ago (it was released a couple of months ago). I have ALWAYS been a real sucker for the Hammond B3 groove and Doctor Lonnie Smith is one of the last of the true masters ( you are all probably familiar with his playing on Lou Donaldson's soul-jazz romp "Alligator Boogaloo"). This is one SMOKING hot album!

B0006213DK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And if any of you SoCal jazz fans are interested-- the good Doctor will be at the Jazz Bakery next week with the same lineup that appears on this record--Peter Bernstein on guitar and Greg Hutchinson on drums.

HE WILL ALSO BE APPEARING FREE OF CHARGE AT AMOEBA RECORDS IN HOLLYWOOD NEXT THURSDAY @ 6 PM!!!

I think most of his classic late-60's Blue Note dates are sadly out of print on CD at the moment--this one with Lee Morgan on trumpet and David Newman on tenor is one of my favorites:

d59618i0p1d.jpg

bizarre. i was JUST NOW reading up on him. i fondled that disc for several minutes the other night, but didn't commit. then, this morning i got an email (will bernard mailing list) informing me that he's performing at the boom boom room in san francisco this weekend (w/ will bernard, wil blades, joe cohen and deszon claiborne). then i come here and see his name and your post. guess i should buy the cd.

----------------

On 1/14/2005 3:46:43 PM Allan Songer wrote:

You ABSOLUTELY need to get your butt down to the Boom Boom Room this weekend. Don't bother getting there early for a booth--you'll want to be moovin and a groovin down front!

----------------

i wish i lived in the bay area. oh well. i AM going to see ahmad jamal tonight, though. front row.

bought dr. smith's cd, today, btw. that was fast, huh? haven't given it a spin just yet.

so, have you been down to the bakery to see him yet? 6 nights. wow.

i told my little sister, who lives in venice, to go see him. that cd should be called "too damn groovy", btw. :) his pedal work sounds great through my sub. p. bernstein is quite smooth, no? the rhythm guitarist is super, too. thanks for influencing my purchase.

ahmad jamal was great. we had front row, center seats in a very intimate venue. idris muhammed, who i'd never seen, was on drums. very entertaining. james cammack on bass. he's not coming to LA, though. :(

where is the "best jazz of 2004" thread, anyway? i was wondering if larry coryell's tricycles (w/ marc egan and paul wertico) made the list. that's my current fave; i just cannot stop listening to it. the recording is outstanding.