First time to listen to a tube amp!!!

customsteve01

Now that is a really nice looking assy you did on that.

I do want to at least put the volume controls on it. I would like to run it without having to have the pre-amp.

I am going to try and look into this alittle more tonight but work is really getting in the way. I hate that...6.gif

Where did you get the brass plate from and how thick is it??

Steve

I got the brass on eBay. It's 1/8" thick which may be an overkill. I polished it for days to get out all the handling marks then when all the holes were drilled, I polished it up again and clearcoated it so I don't have to polish it again!!! Reminded me of sitting night after night polishing my belt buckle in basic training and tech school.

Rick

Yes the installation of a VC is covered. I like to use two VC's to be able to balance the channels myself. Not a problem at all to install. Did you download the manual from Shannon's site?

The cost would be about the same between an STA-35 for donor trannies and the new ones that Uncle Ned sells at Triode Electronics. The advantage of the new ones is the length of the leads. With donors it is necessary to install terminal strips to wire the amp, with full length leads the necessary wiring can be done at the proper terminus on the board and binding posts.

In case you were wondering, fully adjustable bias and feedback is included on the board. I moved it to topsides only to be different and make it easier to adjust. It was trickier to build so I don't recommend it and most likely won't take those extra steps on my next one. The indivually adjustable bias allows the use of less than perfectly matched output tubes. That can save money when rolling in used older EL-84s some of which sound better than new Russian tubes.

Rick

Rick,

I did get the parts list and I got as far as looking up some of the stuff on Mouser. Then I got busy around the farm, Then I built speaker stands for my KG1's. Once I get them painted I will post a picture, Its has to warm up some first before I can paint, the barn doesn't have heat.

I really do like the way you built your amp with wood and brass It looks really nice. I may copy the look somewhat if you don't mind. I am hoping next week I will get the stuff ordered.