Onkyo TX-NR801?

davewrit

Not that model in particular, but I love my Onkyo (see profile). Many around here feel them too bright and/or harsh with Klipsch speakers. Denon and HK seem to have the largest following. But to each his own. Your taste and money is yours. I haven't had a Denon or HK in the house to test against my Onkyo, and if anyone wants to come in here and tell me my system is too harsh, they can always leave.

I used to own Onkyo and Integra products and liked them very much. They all still run, according to the current owners, after many years of use.The down side to Onkyo is that they do not make rated power with all channels driven; they are not even close. The second problem is that warranty service is very poor, if you believe what folks post over on the AVS forum.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

well on paper all of their channels are equaly driven, i have never actually sat down adn measured it myself, but in the manual the 801 is like 100 or 125 channels rms into all channnels, and i have never ever had a problem with any of my onkyo products, my family owns 3, 2 surround and a stereo none of them have ever had a problem and either have i

I've spent a great deal of time over the past couple of months bringing home and testing the following with my Klipsch RF-3's, RC-3, RS-35s and Boston PV700 sub HT system:

Onkyo TX-SR602 and TX-SR702

Yamaha RX-V1500

Harman Kardon AVR430

Elite VSX-54

I found the Yamaha a little harsh (after listening to it for some time) and lacking in the lows and mids at low volume.

The Harman Kardon sounded great, but is a real pain to setup. If other family members were to use it on there own... they'd be lost. And the remote flat out sucks!

The Elite lacked clarity on instrumentals. Not bad... but not detailed.

The Onkyo TX-SR602 and TX-SR702 provided the best balance of sound for music and home theater. And... they're easy to use.

The winner: Onkyo TX-SR702 for its ease of use and finely detailed sound. It is smooth in all areas and provides all of the HT options (including THX Select) anyone could ask for.

I have an TX-DS797B that has performed flawlessly over the past couple of years. As far a brightness it is not really a screamer. If you use the analog inputs for CD, Phono or DVD for music the sound is really balanced. Plus you can use the Direct Input for a pure analog sound albiet without a sub. Everyone that has heard it cannot hear the so called brightness. Try it out and see if you like it.