Which Receiver for rb-25 system?

black325xi

I've spent most of the day listening to home theater systems and based on my ear and input from this forum, have decided on RB25, RC25, RS25, and RW-10 to be used in a 16 x 16 room (first stab at home theater). Now I am looking for suggestions for a receiver. Would like to spend approx. $500. What do you suggest?

I purchased that exact system just after Christmas. I was torn b/w Yamaha, Denon, H/K, and Marantz receivers. I auditioned, researched, and read reviews until my head was about to explode! I had different dealers tell me the Yamaha matched with Klipsch would be too "bright." I ended up with the Marantz SR7500. It retails for 1099.00, but my dealer let me have it for 940.00. The Klipsch dealer was big on H/K, but I really liked the way the Marantz sounded with Klipsch. The only gripe I have is that the internal crossover setting for the sub will not let you set the crossover below 80Hz (Only 80, 100, and 120). If your budget is 500.00, consider the SR5500. It retails for 650.00, but you can get a better price than that. I had one dealer quote me 550.00. Good luck. Check out the only review I could find on the SR7500 at

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2004/11/marantz_sr7500.html

----------------

On 1/17/2005 8:57:33 PM Sosa wrote:

how much did you spend on your rb25 system? I'm thinking of that or rb35

----------------

Have not purchased yet but it appears that can order from goodguys.com for $1350. Local dealer is at $1600 without negotiation. Would prefer to deal local but I do not haggle till ready to buy.

Dan

The dealer let me have the system for $1,340.00. I bought them from a dealer in SC while visiting family for the holidays. Because I have a FL address, he did not charge sales tax. It was 1340.00 straight up. I thought it was a good deal. Is your dealer the only game in town? You should be able to get a better deal than that.

The variable crossover mentionned above is indeed a very important feature. It's important to get good bass management so look into that. I have an h/k avr-325 (got it last year cheap since it was the previous year's model) and its bass management allows you to select from 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 and 200 Hz crossover, differently for each of center, mains, surrounds and rears. I think/i> it also lets you do so globally and differently for each input.

Some very expensive receivers won't give ou this kind of control. I always download the user's manual in PDF so I can see what features it really has. You learn a lot doing that.

So... Here's one vote for h/k. For $464.00, I'd get the avr-335 at www.etronics.com (or elsewhere). If you don't need second-zone capability (I know I'll never use mine), then consider saving some cash and getting the avr-235 for around $345 (a bit less at ecost.com, I think). It has fewer digital inputs though.

I've heard fantastic thing about the ultra-cheap Panasonic digital amps; you might want to look into them too.