My Klipsch Quest

brentutk

Most of you don't know me but I've been reading this forum since 2000. I have been slowly building my first home theatre for 5 years. There are alot of people out there who are young and/or don't have alot of money to spend on home theatre equipment (like myself). Many people will decide to drop $500+ on a home theatre in a box instead of showing patience and slowly building your dream system. Here is my plan and how I completed it.

I started in 2000. I was a sophomore in college and I wanted some floor-standing speakers. I went to the local NOW audio/video (now Tweeter) and auditioned various speakers (Klipsch, Def Tech, Boston, etc.). I loved the RF-3's. My only obstacle was the $800 a pair price tag. I found them online for $550 with no tax and have loved them ever since. I know the hazards of buying Klipsch on-line but luckily I have never needed the warranty which is likely expired anyway. I plugged them into my Aiwa receiver (I know... I know... I fixed this problem later). I loved the sound except the hiss that I later concluded was the fault of the incredibly high distortion level of the Aiwa receiver. I subsided on stereo audio and my 27 inch Sony TV for 4 years.

Last summer I finally had enough money to upgrade my receiver. I bought a Yamaha rx-v540 from the same NOW audio/video store. I paid $239 dollars for this $450 receiver. I banished the Aiwa to a closet where it can die a slow and painful death.

Late last summer the NOW Audio/Video store was discontinuing Klipsch because Tweeter was buying them. I got a pair of RB-25's for $190 total. These I use as my rears. I was looking for a cheap rc-3 but to no avail.

Last month I got a Sony KV-34HS420 (34 inch widescreen direct-view hdtv) from Best Buy for $1199 using a price match. There price was (and still is $1599. I also got a Bell'O TV stand from them for $200.

So now I am just one piece short of my goal... an rc-3 or rc-3II. I am scouring ebay and forums looking for a reasonably priced one. I am currently matrixing the center channel sound into my Rf-3's.

To this point I have paid approximately $2378 for what I consider a pretty quality system. For those discouraged by the high price of this hobby, don't get frustrated, just be patient and be good shoppers!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/20/2005 5:42:23 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Welcome to the forum. The only thing better than having good HT equipment is knowing you got good deals on all it.
1.gif
That also makes it easier to upgrade in the future knowing you don't have a fortune tied up in each piece. Patience is rewarded.
16.gif

----------------

good call on that!