HT Wall Carpets, Curtains?? Help!!!

the borg

I'm about to venture into the basement-to-HT world, and have a space of approximately 13-feet wide by 25-feet long. What should I do about the sound dampening, cover the dry wall with carpet, curtains, or what? Same question for the floors. Also, I am using my RF3's as back surrounds, and would like to know if it is okay to elevate them up off the floor to a matching height with my surrounds (RS7's), to a height of about six or seven feet. Front speakers are RF7's and RC7, all powered by a Denon 5800. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on any and all aspects of this expensive venture. Thanks.

we are the borg...

tb ---

I just put a hardwood floor into my little HT room. My reasoning is that I can put area rugs down as needed but once you put in wall-to-wall carpet, thats it.

I am taking the same approach for the wall treatments. To handle that, I built a soffet (sp?) around the entire room, which hides the indirect overhead ambient lights and gives me the ability to hang curtains, weavings, etc. as needed. This way I am done with the "dirty" remodeling aspects and can start using the room to see what needs to be hung where to get good acoustics.

I also in the process of designing a basement Theater. I using most of my old stuff, Three Hereseys across the from, the center is a Pro-Heresey and KG-1s in the rear. I have a Sony Projection (CRT) with a 8 foot screen. I plan on recessing the screen into the wall. The room is a place for me to escape to. I'll probably listen to more music than watching movies.

At this point, I plan to leave the ceiling open (joist showing) and paint in flat black. Even though I have a 7'10 basement I want that extra height. I thinking of a sound deadner between the joists ( any suggestion would help) For the walls.....well I like the carpet Idea. I think I could achieve what I need for relativley low cost. Would the carpet be continuous or would it stager, leaving sections of hard wall open?

I plan on carpeting the floor with mildew resistent pad. I don't plan on laying on the floor but I still like to cushy feel.

Are you leaving the rear wall Hard, or are you covering that too? My rear wall will not be flat, 1/3 of it will be steps, the other 2/3 is inset about 6-8 ft and has a 36 inch door to one side.

I just purchased a City Water Sump Pump Slave. Used only when we lose power, it works off the city water. It pumps 1 gallon of water to two gallons of city water used. Just as a safety device and a piece of mind.

Good Luck with your project.

You'll want thick, maybe double layers, of carpet padding. Try two differing materials, to decrease liklihood of resonance gaps.

You will definately want to put room treatments in place. I recommend bass traps (16" diameter cylinders) floor to ceiling in all available corners.

You will probably want to put acoustic diffusers on the walls to reduce slap echos.

Both of these things can be built in your basement by you with little skill -- if I did it, anyone can.

See: http://members.nbci.com/Jon_Risch/index.htm for details.

the borg (cool moniker),

You have received a lot of very good advice already, but I would just add that you should procede slowly with any expensive "treatments". You may not need them. I'd advise to just do some basic, common sense type things first, and then see how satisfied with the sound you are, then procede from there, if necessary.

And what are these "basic, common sense" things ol' JD is talking about? Well, don't paint yourself into any corners, so to speak. Carpet? Yes, but considering this is a basement, you may want to think long and hard about the pad. If it gets wet, everything has to come up and out. And it is much easier and cheaper to add absorption as needed, than to over-do it initially, and then have to try to liven it back up.

Another basic thing is to get your dimensions right. Even if it means pulling stud walls out from the basement wall. I think this is the most important first consideration. Making sure none of the three dimensions of the room are mathematically related.

You be the borg.

------------------

JDMcCall

There is a lot to be considered in constructing a Home Theater especially concerning acoustics as well as speaker and listener placement. I would recommend you get a copy of Robert Harleys Complete Guide to High End Audio or his book on Home Theaters (available from www.partsexpress.com ).

HT-1 Klipsch Heritage System (music oriented)

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever changer is playing)

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd info, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Monster 5000 Power Center (serves HT-2 also)

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Sherwood HX-PRO dual cassette deck

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

Cables: Onix , MSB, Monster, AR., RS Gold

Monster Bi-wire speaker cables.(Khorns)

HT#2 Klipsch THX System (movie oriented)

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver/Preamp

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD/ CD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation)

RS Gold , Monster, AR Cables