Forte II with or w/o risers.

fastlane

I have recently aquired 2 sets of Forte II's (after 2 years of searching). One pair from a pawn shop with a minor case or "veneerial disease", especially in the risers. The other pair I bought off Audiogon and thanks to the UPS store in Melbourne,FL boxing, not packing my speakers have 2 damaged risers. While I am waiting on UPS to make good on the Oiled Oak pair, I was wondering what effect sonically it would have to either have the bottom sitting flat on the floor or screw in pegs, like the KG 5.5's. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

With our horn speakers, you want the midrange horn to be at ear level - that's part of the purpose of the risers. Also, I find that the bass is a bit muddy if the speaker is sitting right on the floor without risers. I also found that raising them even a few more inches (as I did with short speaker stands under my KG4's) cleared up the sound even more and eliminated the boominess I was getting.

----------------

On 1/22/2005 10:15:09 AM dougdrake wrote:

... I also found that raising them even a few more inches (as I did with short speaker stands under my KG4's) cleared up the sound even more and eliminated the boominess I was getting.

----------------

I agree 100%. The best modification you can make to a Forte or Quartet is to increase the riser size make them the same height as the Chorus. This really helps the Quartet whose horns are just too close to the floor (unless you are sitting on the floor). Heresy risers are at least angled up a bit.

----------------

On 1/22/2005 1:08:58 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

now ... just hold on here ...

the risers on my F2's are .. 2"

cornwalls .... 1"

i'd be SHOCKED if removing either of these

Made Any Difference ...

'c'mon ...11/2" = bommy bass ...

noooooooooo ! ... no way !

----------------

It probably has more to do with coupling the speaker to the floor (seems like we're talking about this a lot nowadays). Decreasing the surface area of contact between the speaker and the floor increases the amount of coupling that you get. More coupling means a tighter sounding speaker (which generally seems to represent itself more in the mids and highs than in the lows).

I'm with the rest of the crowd suggesting to build new risers that get the MF and HF sections up to ear level. If you want to increase coupling, just add spikes to the bottom of your risers.