In wall equipment rack

Northshore

I am in the process of building out an existing room for my theater and I need some advice. I have a wall that I am going to cut out so that I may recess my equipment in the rear of the room. The pre-built racks I have priced seem excessive so I am looking for ideas from the forum members. Should I build shelves from wood and dry wall or what are my alternatives? Any direction would be appreciated.

Standard 19 inch commercial racks used for audio equipment and computer equipment. I just went through this drill and like the Middle Atlantic stuff. If you have rack mountable equipment great, if not you can buy shelvs that are a breeze to install at various heights (rack spaces). IMHO nothing looks nicer either. I like the understated clean look of an all black rack with equipment closly stacked. If you want I can take a pic of my current install as the rack is in place and the drywall and mud are up but no equipment in while the basement is under construction.